1999 VP44 1 shot, 2 shot?

idontcare909

too much time on my hands
Here's what i got happening, I bought a 1999 2500 with 222000+ miles. long bed extended cab, hell the driver seat isnt even ripped. truck had a shot vp pump, got the truck for a steal, 2wd and a nv 5600 to boot.

so they truck died on the orginal owner while driving it, let off the throttle going down the road and it died, never to start again. so i went throught the truck did all of blue chips tests. results were:

8lbs of fuel from factory lift pump with new fuel filter
codes i had were 1688, 1689, 0253.
would only get fuel out of injector 4.
from my reading it seems that the vp44's shaft had broken.
fuel guage reads 1/2 but i still dumped 5 gallons of fresh diesel in the take just be be safe.

now lucky me had another 99 motor with a vp pump just lying around my shop..... too bad my uncle need that pump - so it got shipped to him. he has a 2001 3500 auto. the pump on his truck would run but had the hard starting issues. but once started ran alright. i had him send me this pump off his truck and i checked with chip that it would work on my 99. he said it would.

so i get the pump from the 2001 and install it in the 99. get it all primed up and it still wont start. i get no codes when i check. still good fuel pressure. i opened all lines and bled them all. i cant get so much as a burp out of it. i get no fuel out of the number 1 or 2 lines, but get fuel out of the other 4. im completly stumped.

please any help or suggestions would be greatly appercieated. only think i was thinking was maybe crank sensor? would that make it not start? but wouldnt it throw a code if there were the case? or just think putting a old already known not working perfect pump on is the cuplrit?

thanks for any help im sure i need to buy a vp but just was tryin to go the cheap rout first..

I had this same exact problem installing a brand new II hrvp on a 99. I see you've checked all the basics. You might pull the pump.back out and make sure you didn't shear the key off the shaft. Also, don't know if you checked but the plug for the stock lift pump will come unplugged sometimes. I'd check those two and go from there. It is possible that the pump you put on is dead too... its a vp thing. Lol

Sent from a Dumb Phone using Tapatalk 2

I took the crank breather off and looked at key way. all looked good and all turned when cranked over,
But maybe I'm missing something. But thinking ima take it back off. I checked fuel pump connection, all was good. Damn thing has got me baffled!

Any new codes?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Check fuel volume, pressure means nothing. Its also very possible you have another VP.

I'm gonna get frowned upon, but I had this happen to me. I spent three weeks triple checking everything. Replaced VP to no change. While cranking, spray a small shot of ether in the turbo. Once it starts, it will throw a code. I ended up having a crank sensor bad. The ECM can only throw a code once the engine is running.

Last edited:
No new codes. The lines being clogged was my next thought. I'll pull them of and check them out. I was thinking about bad crank sensor. And when I did give tiny shot of ether itll run about 20 seconds. Sounds pretty good an dies. And I dont get any codes.

When I get back to workin on it I will check volume too. Lift pump Should almost fill a 2 liter in the 25 seconds it runs correct?

it only takes power and ground to make the vp44 start up and idle. Search on here or google. Give it power and ground on the 2 proper pins, if it still doesnt run, pump is bad.

Just worked on it again.... Took off 1 2 and 4 injector lines, blew them out. All seemed well. While off I had helper turn truck over and saw fuel coming out of those ports on pump. So bled all injectors and still wont start. For shots and giggles I had a extra tps and plugged that in. Did nothing.

I knew the pump had hard start issues but the truck did start and run. And I know he would from time to time give it a shot of ether to get his running. I know not the best idea, but hey sometime gotta roll that way. Anyway I tired a lil shot and it will catch for a second and die. I don't think it's running on fuel just the juice.

I tired hot wiring the old pump and this pump. It didn't work either time. Also double checked lift pump and for a stocker it's working ok. Give good volume and pressure for a stocker.

Guess i'm going to pull vp pump off an check key way. I took my time putting it in and made sure the key was exactly where the old one was. I guess I all else fails buy a new one. Just don't wanna spend the money of I don't have to. I don't wanna be that guy who just throws money at it hoping it'll work.

Thanks for all help and suggestions. Always appreciated. And thankful for ideas

I think your trying to avoid reality on this one...

try the crank sensor, it that doesn't work, the vp44

one cheap part first, that may fix it, then the part that will likely fix it.

Back