1st boosted 4x4 launch... what happend?

obben666

So new full bilet tranny installed and after some breakintime I thought it was time to test it.
Did a couple of launches. It did feel like something slipped a little one of the launches, but I didn´t push it that hard I think.
A mile later(normal driving) I put it in reverse, and nothing happens. Goes through the gears manually a couple of times and notice the gearindicator is a little offset. Ok... time to go home to find a parkingspace that I dont need to use reverse in. after another couple of miles I test it again, and reverse is there again, but doesnt force the vehicle backwards as strong as usual.
Gearindicator is still a little offset and it creeps a little in neutral.
This is to be a bad ass tranny, and I just run DDP5´s and a Smarty, so I´m not THAT overpowered i think.
I have to adjust the shiftlinkage I guess, but it feels like it´s too easy...
Any Idea what can have happend?
I´m really tired of having the truck at the trannyshop, and I see you guy´s are doing far more aggresive launches on a regular basis than me...
:what:

Is your tranny guy an authorized builder?

obben666 said:
So new full bilet tranny installed and after some breakintime I thought it was time to test it.
Did a couple of launches. It did feel like something slipped a little one of the launches, but I didn´t push it that hard I think.
A mile later(normal driving) I put it in reverse, and nothing happens. Goes through the gears manually a couple of times and notice the gearindicator is a little offset. Ok... time to go home to find a parkingspace that I dont need to use reverse in. after another couple of miles I test it again, and reverse is there again, but doesnt force the vehicle backwards as strong as usual.
Gearindicator is still a little offset and it creeps a little in neutral.
This is to be a bad ass tranny, and I just run DDP5´s and a Smarty, so I´m not THAT overpowered i think.
I have to adjust the shiftlinkage I guess, but it feels like it´s too easy...
Any Idea what can have happend?
I´m really tired of having the truck at the trannyshop, and I see you guy´s are doing far more aggresive launches on a regular basis than me...
:what:

Sounds like the shift lever slipped on the valvebody shaft. No big deal. Put the truck in park, climb under the truck and remove shift cable. loosen the 13mm bolt and push the lever towards the rear of the truck and tighten down bolt snug. There is a groove machined into the lever and the shaft so you will be able to tell when you right on before you tighten. Make sure the neutral safety switch and/or shift indicator reads in the Park position. hope this helps.

Hate to say it but it sounds like you burnt up the forward clutch(creeping in neutral, no reverse). Been there done that, only mine locked up completely and I had no neutral or reverse.

94ttss said:
Hate to say it but it sounds like you burnt up the forward clutch(creeping in neutral, no reverse). Been there done that, only mine locked up completely and I had no neutral or reverse.

He said the indicator was off.... besides Dusty built his tranny. Sounds like an install issue to me.

They have already contacted me about this. :)
I have to try adjust the linkage first, but i´m on tour working a couple of days, so we´ll see when I have the time.
It´s the first time I´ve tried to launch this way(one have to do training before race), so its possible I have done something wrong..
Due to unfortunate circumstancys the tranny had to be rebuild here in Sweden, but there is Dusty´s parts inside. So technically it is not Dusty who built it. But I hope they put it together the same way as he did.
The trans runs(besides this) very nice with firm and distinct shifts, and the Suncoast TC seems to have a more linear force(multiplication?) than my former ATS Tripleloc.
I hear people with more power cant hold the brakes enough to stand still, so I was really surprised that this happend, but as I said, this is first time so it may be ****ty driver related.
Is this the slippery slope everyone talks about?LOL

I've heard (but never confirmed) that a miss-adjusted shift lever will cause the reverse band to engage while in Drive.

joefarmer said:
I've heard (but never confirmed) that a miss-adjusted shift lever will cause the reverse band to engage while in Drive.

I've heard the same thing... I always make sure the bleed valve (my name, can't remember the correct name) from reverse is open, when it is in drive. Even if park and the indicator are correct, doesn't mean it's correct inside the trans. I actually look every time I do a trans service. I haven't had a problem, but I don't want to either!

Paul

paulb said:
I've heard the same thing... I always make sure the bleed valve (my name, can't remember the correct name) from reverse is open, when it is in drive. Even if park and the indicator are correct, doesn't mean it's correct inside the trans. I actually look every time I do a trans service. I haven't had a problem, but I don't want to either!

Paul

You both heard right.

Truck is up and running!
TV-cablelever had jumped out of position due to some damage on the lever that the installer didn´t reconize. So it didn´t build linepressure as expected.
Burnt the forwardclutch(es). No need to pay for the rebuild this time. :)

Dusty has shown his concern during the whole process! He didn´t have to, cause it wasn´t his fault, but he did anyway! I´m very happy with his customerservice.

Well, I hate that you had to have the tranny gone through again, but the customer service sounds top notch :rockwoot:

Now lets try those boosted launches again :evil

Dont feel bad the first time i tried a 40psi launch in my 02 i broke my billet output shaft and it scared the crap out of me cause as soon as it happend i thought rearend thinking that u cant break a billet output. Oh well

I had a brand new ATS stage-5 trans sh_t the bed on me after about 300 miles, the pump broke, causing TC failure, which welded the clutches together and I had no neutral. It was interesting getting it home. Nothing but neutral(park) drops at a dozen traffic lights on the way home. Thank god for a good warranty, it got fixed in a hurry and for free, as it should because it wasn't operator error in anyway. Same situation I guess.

Back