1st gen engine into 2nd gen truck

dbshelton

I bought a 1991.5 Cummins for a swap into a 1996 Ford shuttle bus. I want to install the engine into a 1994 Dodge that I have, evaluate the engine's condition, and sort out all mods that I may want to do (looking for 300-350hp). I figure this will make the swap int the bus go easier. What all does the 1st gen to 2nd gen swap involve?

I don't foresee much needed to get the job done. But I think I'm confused by which vehicle the engine will be permanently installed in. The bus or the '94 Dodge? My response is based on your question of the '91.5 going into the '94.

As for the motor simply bolting in place... Motor mounts for a 2nd gen 12v truck will bolt right to the block of the '91.5 Cummins being that they're both 12v's. As for the transmission, it would probably just need a bellhousing adapter plate for a 47rh or NV4500 (if they're the same, I'm not sure) in order for it to bolt to the block.

Air temp., coolant temp., and other misc. sensors might hook right up to the harness in the '94. At the least, they would need new terminals and connectors wired at the ends to mate with the sensors plugs.

One difference that comes to mind is the shutdown solenoid wiring. With the P-pumps, the shutdown solenoid is a 3- or 4-wire connector. Whereas, the earlier 1st gen shutdown solenoids are a single wire connection. That should be as simple as just hooking a 12v (+) wire switched through the ignition to either open (key on) or close (key off) the solenoid.

Last edited:
The plan is to see what all I need to do to the 91.5 to use it in the bus. In the 94, it is MUCH easier to modify and work on the engine. It may be a piece of crap worn out engine. It could need a rebuild. Maybe I only need to do pump and fuel mods. Its a long term project and I don't want to start the bus engine swap until I have everything in good shape.

Thanks for the info. That's the kind of stuff I need.

Just as a non-technical note... Not sure where you are or the laws there (and they may not apply to larger vehicles) but many states prohibit putting an older engine into a newer vehicle (even if it is, for all intents and purposes, the exact same motor) . As I said, dunno the laws where you're at, or even if they would bother to check at inspection, but it's probably worth making sure.

Back