1st Gen into Ford Bus

dbshelton

I'm just beginning to swap an intercooled 1991.5 Cummins into a 1996 Ford shuttle bus. Using a Ford 5R110 transmission and the current rear is a 4.63 ratio. Pretty sure I need to swap the rear gear. Should I go with a 4.10 or 3.73? I don't tow anything and the max loaded weight is 14,000 pounds.
Current mods to engine are 60# valve springs, Hungry Diesel fuel pin, 3800rpm gov. spring.
Also, do you think the 460 radiator will cool the Cummins?

I wouldn't go any lower than 4:10 if you unless you run the express way alot. You could leave the gear it has if your just doing local running. The 460 rad should be fine the stock rad out of my 93 i/c donor is at best half that size and it never got hot running down the road at 20,000lbs +.

Thanks. I will probably go with my gut and change to a 4.10 but I may wait until I get the Cummins in there and running. Most of my driving is highway but we do get into some hills when traveling.

I decided to go with a 3.73 gear. Pretty sure that the 5.9 will pull that. Went ahead and ordered it and installation kit.
After measuring, the 460 radiator is too wide for the CAC from a 2006 E450. Guess I will go with a radiator that fits a later 2006 E450 van with a 6.0 diesel.
Also got a set of front springs for cheap from late model Diesel E450.

Pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_175501.jpg
    IMG_20140324_175501.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20140324_174612.jpg
    IMG_20140324_174612.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
One more. Still need to choose a torque converter. Thinking about one with a 1500-1600 stall speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20150704_104153.jpg
    IMG_20150704_104153.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I strongly suggest getting in contact with Phil at Diesel Performance Converters, look in the vendors list here on this board.:Cheer:

This is probably in the wrong place. How do I get a Mod to move this thread to the conversion section or maybe even combine it with my other thread there? Like a dummy I already started a thread there.

Last edited:
I would vote for the higher gears, these motors seem to pull better the harder the load. What turbo are you going to use. This will make a lot of difference in the bottom end.

I think I would stick with stock stall if the ford trans is anywhere close to the final drive of a 47rh/e. At 14000lbs, you might not like a lower stall if you have to stop on a hill.

I think I would stick with stock stall if the ford trans is anywhere close to the final drive of a 47rh/e. At 14000lbs, you might not like a lower stall if you have to stop on a hill.

I have been thinking the same thing. I'm going to start out with the stock converter and see how that works. I can always change it out later.

Anyone know if the stock Ford in-tank fuel pump will work as a lift pump, or do I need to remove it and rework the pickup as a "drawstraw"? I have a return style regulator I can put on it.

Compared the new diesel front springs with the ones on the bus, hoping they were heavier. Same wire diameter, same number of coils, same free height. Installed the diesel front springs and the ride height is identical. Oh well, It was worth a try

Made the 3.73 gear change. It did lose a little acceleration, but it is still very acceptable. Much less gear noise and less engine noise. I think the 460 likes it, but the Cummins will love it.

What all performance mods can I do to increase the HP on this 91.5 engine and still safely retain the stock turbo?

The stock turbo sucks, it'd be the first thing I'd ditch. An Hx35 or he 351 is reasonably cheap and wouldn't be too hard to do during the conversion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back