2.6 and 3.0 turbo ?

seeker1056

gear head
I really don't know much about turbo's but in reading almost any discussion on this forum on turbo's, one never sees anything mentioned in a really big turbo for these 2.6 and 3.0 classes,.

Most seem to be an S475 or HX60 derivative these days

Is this because of rules, or is it because the larger turbo's just don't make any more appreciable power once clipped down to the 2.6 or 3.0 size?

Like for instance an S488 or an S510 91mm Borg or Gt55 or similar Precision or Turbonetic's cut to those 2.6 and 3.0 sizes? Wouldn't they make more air even though clipped?

It cant be about spooling as I have seen very large bushed chargers spool ok - but they do tend to blow up quite often - or is that the answer - no longevity?

Last edited:
I really don't know much about turbo's but in reading almost any discussion on this forum on turbo's, one never sees anything mentioned in a really big turbo for these 2.6 and 3.0 classes,.

Most seem to be an S475 or HX60 derivative these days

Is this because of rules, or is it because the larger turbo's just don't make any more appreciable power once clipped down to the 2.6 or 3.0 size?

Like for instance an S488 or an S510 91mm Borg or Gt55 or similar Precision or Turbonetic's cut to those 2.6 and 3.0 sizes? Wouldn't they make more air even though clipped?

It cant be about spooling as I have seen very large bushed chargers spool ok - but they do tend to blow up quite often - or is that the answer - no longevity?

Most running s400's are either running clipped s480's or s482's for 2.6 . The HX60 and Precision units are what most of the big boy 2.6" trucks are running.

Back