2.6 Rule fix

I was told by Buckeye truck pullers that if I got five trucks around they would have a 2.6 class for 2015. So what I propose is that if we can get 5 of these new trucks around and see what happens. I'll be in on one, so if anyone else would be interested let me know. We could hash details and present to the club. I'm all for making this happen.

You will NEVER take the money out of staying competitive in any class. Either you'll have so many rules trying to eliminate grey areas that everyone winds up with the same truck because you have to fallow so many rules then it's pointless. Or you have them how they are and guys will always spend the money to play in the grey and bend the rules as much as they can to beat the next guy. Either pay to play or go home and quit crying like little girls that you had to fix something. IT'S PULLING something's going to break.

Omg.....we went over this in the other thread.... an open rear will not make any other part of the drivetrain weaker........

phone

I also think by going single rear that it would also draw in or retain the pullers that do not want to go open rear.

Ask Doug at the Outlaw Truck and Tractor Pulling Association how that worked out for him this past year...

All but a few of the 2.6 trucks are running a stock rear end housing, so the singles would keep the money out of staying competitive in the class.

So you don't have to put any money into a stock rear end to make it survive? What kind of tracks do you pull on?

Stock appearing driveline belongs in the street class which is not 2.6 anymore. Open up the rear and/or driveline (which is no performance advantage) and it doesn't hurt the numbers in the class because you can pull with stock appearing or open driveline.

Why would you think a 3" smoothbore can't be run on a GT55?

OPEN REAR then will equal t case failure... i am all for getting rid of 2.6 all together and adding a 4.1 single cut tire class instead..

That class might work at a national level but fail at a local level. The local 3.0 class has already failed this year. Look at the number of top 3.0 trucks for sale right now. I think some people finally realizing it's out of hand. Just my two cents but I feel what our local organization did is working pretty good. We are limiting the Turbo to 3x3.6 and have a clear no deck plate rule. No deck plate is needed at that power level for "reliability" it has been proven well this year so nobody give me that b's. Our class is thriving, added new trucks all year and more coming this winter. We're expecting a steady 10+ trucks and 30+ points hooks all within 2 hours from each other

For god sAke leave the 2.6 class alone. If you are tired of breaking then gtfo. You can go to 2.5 or 3.0. One of those should float your boat then. Stop trying to make the class conform to the individual.

I'm just glad in my 27 or so hooks this year that my rear ring and pinion developed small hairline cracks. That was a huge savings for me in that it prevented my transfer case from exploding. :bang bahahahaha

I didn't "break" a single r&p this year, however I did replace it twice as preventative maintenance, and I think I pulled on some of the best tracks in the country.

The reason I would like to see the rule change is strictly because if you are following a points series and have a catastrophic driveline failure as some people have had this year, you may miss a hook if you don't have every spare part on hand (many pulls are 3-5 hours away from home).

I guess the real question is why is everyone afraid of pulling against a truck with open driveline?

I'm not. If I can put some stronger parts on my truck that equates to me spending a few extra days with my wife and kids as opposed to fixing my broken **** then I'll probably do it.

I'm just glad in my 27 or so hooks this year that my rear ring and pinion developed small hairline cracks. That was a huge savings for me in that it prevented my transfer case from exploding. :bang bahahahaha

I didn't "break" a single r&p this year, however I did replace it twice as preventative maintenance, and I think I pulled on some of the best tracks in the country.

The reason I would like to see the rule change is strictly because if you are following a points series and have a catastrophic driveline failure as some people have had this year, you may miss a hook if you don't have every spare part on hand (many pulls are 3-5 hours away from home).

I guess the real question is why is everyone afraid of pulling against a truck with open driveline?

I'm not. If I can put some stronger parts on my truck that equates to me spending a few extra days with my wife and kids as opposed to fixing my broken **** then I'll probably do it.
It's a pretty simple concept. Very hard for many to grasp

phone

I understand your concerns and even agree with you on some like the breakage and not having to take even more time away from family fixing the stuff. But if guys are dedicated enough to run the points then they accept the risk and work involved. I know 2.6 guys who have spare long blocks setup just incase a failure so I'm pretty sure a ring and pinion shouldn't be a concern. The slow erosion of the classes is what I don't like. And if a guy want odl, then his motor is no slouch so what's scary about running with 3.0 trucks. It's not all about horsepower anyway right?

Power levels would be the same, trucks would not gain footage, Dana 80 trucks would still win if they are winning now.

phone

In my area.
2.6 is currently accepted in our area and has plenty of hooks with good payouts.
3.0 is non existent.
2.5 is growing in brush pulls.

Some of you have the opportunity to move up. We, on the other hand, need to make what we have as strong as possible. Bringing the cost and or time down while making a competitive class is one way we think that will happen.

Don't assume we don't have spare parts.

As far as accepting the risk, you can look at Got-Torque's previous items he has sold and he did accept the risk so that he could legally compete in the area. If this goes the way some think it will, he will wish he had those parts back!

You are right. Open driveline would solve your problems. Just like protrusion did with the turbos. It will be a bandaid solution. look at the 3.0 class here in IL, had what 20 trucks atone time and had 42 hooks one season and now who's left? Rod Tarr? Even he's down two trucks. Between people getting burnt out, cost being so damn high, travel expenses and wanting higher purses for the class killed it. Well that and the up coming 2.6 class seemed more attractive. 3.0 is just about squeezed out on a local level. Same as it did to 2.8. And when 2.6 finally gets everything 3.0 had, then 2.5 will be working on squeezing it out too cause we are changing the classes to fit our local needs. Imo, national rules don't help the local orgs at all. We had a good 2.6 class until people started implementing ppl rules. Now there is about 3-4 of us.

I actually would like a 3.0 smooth, single 35 x 12.50 class but I know from experience around here that it would not be very popular. If pullers had somewhere else to pull rather than pull 2 tires they would. No matter how many r&p it took out.

No matter what ppl does nationally we will have to evaluate what is best for the area pullers in the PPL member state organization with access to a regional ppl series. The reason for us to originally go with ppl is to not conform to an individual or be accused to doing things to benefit a single puller's vehicle in some way.

From a promoter's stand point open driveline can be a way to make sure pullers can make a 2 day pull or 3 day run. This was the original reasoning behind the single tire rule with OTTPA. It was not in anyway written to benefit the puller.

Besides the deckplate, what do other orgs do differently from PPL?

Yep LMAO. Makes for an interesting class though. Still make enough power to bend the frame on a 3rd gen..........

If the class went smooth bore and nothing else I am positive breakage wont be a issue any more. The super farm and other classes went through this crap years ago and went smooth bore. Plus with smooth bore you have less to tech and you don't have people pushing the limits of the map grove like everyone seem to do

ppl superfarm is not smooth bore. Ntpa was however they have gone back to slotted chargers as well

Back