20-145 center with dana 80 tubes?

2005duramax

I was wondering if anyone tried running a 20145 center section with cutting the tubes off and welding dana 80 tubes on it so you can still use dana 80 spindles and making up a collar to run 20145 splines to 37 spline? just for a cheaper route.

I would guess the tubes would need bored to fit the larger shafts but there might not be enough meat to do anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hes saying run the 37 spline Dana 80 shafts and run a splined reducer in the center to adapt from the 20-145 shaft size down to the 37 spline axles. Would maybe save some weight also.

And run what for a center section? Seems like tripping over dollars to save pennies
to me

well the way I look at it there is no reason to leave the 20145 axel tubes on they weigh a stupid amount to begin with so instead of buying spindles and putting smaller tubes on why not just do this if ya wanted and just weld stock carrier or put spool in? im just asking not sure if it would work or not I can get centers for next to nothing threw work just an idea.

You can machine the stock 20-145 axles to bolt on a aluminum f106 hub. So it should work for a d80 hub.

Most of SQHDs get 106 rockwell tubes, alot lighter than SQ tubes, 20-145 would be the same way.
Spicer 80 tubes would be heavier.

I'd had an SQ years ago the had 14 bolt chev tubes, with internal splines in tubes.
You slid double splined axles thru the tubes, gave you a big axle in a small tube.
Never broke, probly still running somewhere.

Going through a lot of work to make a bulletproof rear end weak by using small shafts. How much weight do you think you'll save? 50lbs?

I was wondering if anyone tried running a 20145 center section with cutting the tubes off and welding dana 80 tubes on it so you can still use dana 80 spindles and making up a collar to run 20145 splines to 37 spline? just for a cheaper route.

I have not seen or heard of anyone doing this. Could you? Yes. Idk why you'd want to. If it is weight your concerned with, go sheet metal and make it super narrow, much like a certain white Chevy with a ppump locally...

Last edited:
Back