2000 fummins lights flickering

collinmaune

my truck started its life as a v10 5 speed truck. About 5000 miles ago I put a 95 12 valve in it and a zf6 behind it. Put new batteries new alternator now voltage regulator and it has a problem of at idle the headlights dash lights and all to flicker back and forth. what do I need to do I check the regulator and alternator they are good.

ford or dodge alternator ? 1- wire or wired into truck using "factory" setup?

mines doing the same thing. im using ford alternator though.. its frustrating.. from what ive gathered you will need an anolog volt meter to check it.. ive been told its the regulator. ive had my alt checked and betteries checked and all checked out good at oreileys and autozone.. but their volt meters could pick up the small oscilations that are happening.. i was told to use an old anolog one so im hunting one down.. ill let you know what i find

I have replaced the volt meter twice now and it still does it. It is very frustrating I have an analog volt meter at work I will test it tomorrow and let you know what I come up with.

My dads 02 F350 does this from time to time and it still has the 7.3L w/ dual alternators. Everytime replace an alternator or a battery it stops for a while, but later will come back over time.

I've got a 05 f250 12v and the only thing I could do is put a 24si alt from Fleetpride to get it to stop flickering

depending on the Dodge alt. you need an external Dodge regulator to go with it. Using the Ford Alt there is no problems. In your Dodge service manual it will walk you through the diagnostic steps in the charging troubleshooting section.

Last edited:
they need to idle at 1100 rpm or change your pully to speed it up.

Back