2001 F-350 horrible driving mannors

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
I don't know where to start but my 01 F-350 2X4 with 205K on it has horrible road mannors :hehe:

99% of the time it makes me look like a drunk driver. Not easy to keep the old gal in a straight line. What can be some things that would make it wonder ?

Its got all new ball joints & tie rods & ends. Tires are about 50% worn
Shocks are factory have NOT been changed yet. Is there any adjustment on the steering box? If I can't get this thing to drive better soon im parting it out.

Bad gear box,worn steering sector,bad shocks,bad tires... could all account for the handling issues your having. If your gonna get rid of it for something as simple as that then let me have it.

I'm hopefully going to put some shocks on it this weekend...if it doesn't rain. We've been slammed at work running the trucks 7 days a week from sun up to sun down for the last 3 months straight.

Is there a way to check the gearbox to see if its bad? I did notice I can turn the steering wheel roughly 1.5" each way without the truck steering either direction. Not sure if that is within specs?

Id say that is a little bit loose. It could stand to be adjusted to get the slack out. All the tie rods and ends have been replaced?

Yes the long rods & the ends along with ball joints were done in the same week. Then got the alignment done the same day. Maybe 2K miles on them since we did that.

Generally put 3K miles per month on the truck. Any suggestions for from shocks on this 2wd truck? I would also like to put a leveling kit on it.

Maybe its just worn out shocks but the front sits really low. Lower than I remeber it being when I bought it new in 2001.I rather it be even with the rear if its not to much trouble.

Its 2wd so it wont be even with the rear. As for shocks just get a good set of Monroes about 40-50 bucks a corner and see if that takes care of it,sure as hell aint gonna hurt it!

I would probably just replace the steering gear instead of adjusting it. Put new shocks on it and have the alignment checked again.

Back