2003 Chevy Duramax

Big Smoky

Former 35er Electrician!
I'm looking at trucks, and really would like a Duramax, but I don't know anything about them, so I'm hoping yall can help me. I'm looking at an '03 Chevy 4x4 with 218k on it. It looks to be in good shape, but didn't know what can go wrong on these trucks or what wears out after so long. I know the Cummins front to back, but need some guidance on this. They're asking 14,900. The inside is clean but I'd see if they would come down on the price due to mileage. Also, I hope I put this in the right section because I don't know an LBZ from an LLY lol. Thanks in advance

For one, an 03 will be an lb7 LOL

they're a little high on price for that many miles IMO

lol, told ya I was Duramax dumb! If it were a lower price would it be something you look at or stay away from?

I love my lb7, just make sure to check get the injectors balance rates checked and find out when they were replaced, if ever

Also check for pressure in the cooling system, and/or combustion gas in the cooling system. I bought my 01 with the Big dipper built suncoast trans and some other goodies for a song and a dance with pressure in the cooling system.

Are there any performance injectors that can replace the stock ones and won't crap out as easy? Whats the best way to check for pressure in the cooling system?

Are there any performance injectors that can replace the stock ones and won't crap out as easy? Whats the best way to check for pressure in the cooling system?

Not really, the injectors are all bosch, the only modding gets done to the tips. Supposedly the revised version of the bosch injectors are better and less prone to failure, they changed head design in 04.5 for the LLY and those trucks dont seem to have the issues. But to be honest, i think the lb7 injector issue is a little overhyped at this point, and from some of the reading ive done it doesnt seem the common rail 5.9s are terribly far behind the lb7, the 6.0 chokers weren't shy about puking injectors and the 7.3 injectors weren't without issue either. At any rate, overhyped or not, an LB7 with that many miles and no documentation of injectors being changed is leverage in the buyers favor for sure.

As far as coolant pressure, ideally you should put a gauge on the system, but the upper radiator hose being rock hard after flogging the truck a little bit is a pretty good tell. Air bubbles in the coolant tank would also be a general headgasket indicator.

Ok, thank you a lot. I was wondering if it was just hyped up or not. If it's similar to the 3rd gen Cummmins injector issues I think I'll take my chances but I'm for sure gonna request documentation on when last time the injectors were replaced. Thank you again.

Price seems a little high. In Oregon it would go for about 11, no matter how clean it was.

Yea, closer to 11. The injector issue isn't overhyped, It's a definite problem if they go south and the parts are right at $2k to fix it right. Not all have injector problems though so don't be too scared. Like said the revised units are believed to be the fix.

Thanks for moving it!

I was thinking more along the lines of 11k also. I'm gonna have a sit down with the salesman. Also, can anyone on here check a VIN for service history to see if the injectors have been changed? Thanks

I'm not sure if someone here does it or not. A lot of diesel forums have 1 or 2 members that do them.

you could also just check the upper hose before driving it. the last one I put head gaskets on sat outside my shop for 3 weeks, and was still pressurized before I pulled it in. Injectors are somewhat of an issue if they havent been changed before or in a while. Water pumps are also becoming a common failure also. I think the price is a little high also around 10 0r 11 I think would be fair.

Yea, closer to 11. The injector issue isn't overhyped, It's a definite problem if they go south and the parts are right at $2k to fix it right. Not all have injector problems though so don't be too scared. Like said the revised units are believed to be the fix.

I suppose ill clarify, i guess the issues aren't over hyped persay, but there not really any worse than any direct injections engine. About 6-7 years ago while i was living out of state my old man bought a 97 f450 with a bad piston, the cause was deemed a faulty injector. I did not have a hand in the build, but i do know he spent 1800 to send the injectors out and have them tested/repaired, and that was with a few of the injectors being deemed excellent and not needing repair. SO while the lb7s are problematic, i dont think the issue is as horrendous as its made out to be. I did get a good laugh at the wholesale auction when i bought my 06, some guy from some other mom and pop dealer was on his cell with a customer describing the truck to him and tell him all about the duramax injector issues and the thing not being under warranty etc.

Back