2003 Dodge Half ton swap PLEASE CHIME IN

maxwedgehead

Alright guys I picked up a 03 regular cab hemi shortbed 2wd short, I got a smoking deal on it, they said it needs motor work. Was considering just rebuilding the hemi and driving it but, just to rebuild the hemi I'd have about 2 grand in it. So I would really like to 12 valve 47rh swap it, would love info on where to buy or what you guys did for motor mounts, trans mount and the suspension piece. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, I'll post pictures of the truck tomorrow!

Changed my mind, want to do common rail 48re swap, so if anyone has any input as far as the wiring matching up etc also, going to buy a 2003-2004 donor truck so I can get harnesses, and all to match etc. Would like this to appear and work as factory as possible.

You won't like the fab work to get it into the 1/2 ton frame and there are a lot of other frame/suspension differences to overcome.

I'll just shorten up sections of 2 different diesel frames to achieve the goal.

Mark.

You won't like the fab work to get it into the 1/2 ton frame and there are a lot of other frame/suspension differences to overcome.

I'll just shorten up sections of 2 different diesel frames to achieve the goal.

Mark.

Theres several of them that have been done, but not very many details on each, as far as suspension and frame seems like everyone only changes front springs, weight difference of a cummins to hemi is +-400 pounds, seen plenty of half tons with snow plows. Garmon has built several.

I'll feel safer with all that weight on diesel components, especially the control arms on 2WD half tons.

Mark.

Well thats your opinion and I appreciate it but, I've researched all over and seen several of these conversions done on half tons and it seems the people have done them love them, but no one has really gone into detail on motor mounts they used etc. I have dug up tons of pics but would like to know specifics on them before I have to set and guess and figure it out, would like to take some of that time out of the process.

I rode in one mr Garmon built along time ago (gold truck 2003 I think) and it rode like it came from the factory that way.

Well thats your opinion and I appreciate it but, I've researched all over and seen several of these conversions done on half tons and it seems the people have done them love them, but no one has really gone into detail on motor mounts they used etc. I have dug up tons of pics but would like to know specifics on them before I have to set and guess and figure it out, would like to take some of that time out of the process.
I'd show you the mounts I intend to use, but they are attached to the front DIESEL 2wd frame stub I selected for the task.
The whole front suspension is vastly different between diesel and gasser, for the better, I might add. :)

Mark.

I have plenty of pics I can email you. I crammed a 6.7 into my 2003. It's not hard and I built my own mounts. Trash the stock cummins mounts and build a set. The cradles inside the frame will work just fine. I went over board on my suspension and used coilovers from QA1 and hypercoil springs that are 800lbs.

I have plenty of pics I can email you. I crammed a 6.7 into my 2003. It's not hard and I built my own mounts. Trash the stock cummins mounts and build a set. The cradles inside the frame will work just fine. I went over board on my suspension and used coilovers from QA1 and hypercoil springs that are 800lbs.

I'm very interested, my email is nnmax@hotmail.com

Sorry this thread slipped my mind. Hell getting old.

I'll send some pics in the AM.

Sweet! Thanks! I am going through with this, hemi and trans were pulled sunday, dropping truck off at my buddies shop who is going to make the mounts for me tomorrow!

Did the 800 lb springs work out pretty good?

Heres a pic on the way to the my buddy's shop who built the mounts for me

towing race truck.jpg

And bam! Engine mounted and solid!

mounted 12 valve.jpg

Tranny cooler is generic 30K capacity. The condenser which you can't see is generic as well.

The intercooler is a bar and plate design from Bell with a set of generic cast ends that I bought off of eBay. Radiator is also custom build to size, I did use much of the same theory in mounting it as the design used in the 3/4 1 ton chassis. Even used a lot of the stock rubber mounting bushings from second gen and third gen.

I've tried to keep it as stock and clean appearing as possible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It looks very nice and clean, I seen most used the factory hemi radiator and condensor and added an intercooler in front, but I may do it like you did.

Back