2004.5 dodge diesel axle shaft - need education

1965LONEWOLF

lonewolf
2004.5 dodge diesel axle shaft - need education, pulled my axle shaft out and a little twisted on the ends so i went out and bought some from a 2003 hemi 2500 , same length and same spline but axle thickness is less and total weight of the axle is less. I got a 2004 rearend given to me today and it has the same light weight axles, the ones i had are 1.5 thick and now i have two sets and they are 1.3/8 thick . i need the thicker & heavier ones so some i need some education on this ?

I assumed all 03-09 axles were interchangeable. I need educated too. Maybe lighter axles at the beginning of production?

I thought the gassers got smaller axles. AAM 10.5s and the Diesels got the 11.5s?

yes the whole axle but what about the axle shafts themselves ? must be a difference between gas and diesel to ?

I figured the would be a lot of experts on here that know about this ? I mean that in a good way and not taking shots at anyone . Someone must have some knowledge on this topic . Thanks for the space comp diesel .

So in English. You were given an 11.5 out of an 04 dodge 2500 with a gas engine and it has smaller axle shafts? If you aren’t needing the strength then sure run them, why not? But you are wanting to replace the current shafts because they are twisted at the ends? Sounds like you need to pony up and buy an upgraded shaft. Or just break the smaller ones & worry about it then.

Back