2004 Passat Wagon TDI

IdahoRob

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Looking at a used one with 90k on it. I believe they have a different engine/trans than the Jetta, but that is the extent of my knowledge on these things. Any input good or bad on the car and what I should look for?

It hasn't had a timing belt yet and seems to idle smoothly and quietly. TDI forum a good place for research?

Thank you,

04-05 passat and passat wagons had the 2.0l bhw.

TDI club is a good forum

If it hasn't had a T-belt yet, then that is the first thing you should do if you buy it.

Passat's are really generally very good cars. From all the ones I work on, the only real common issues are cv boots tearing, typical PD cam wearing issues, and the chain driven balance shaft modules (need to be swapped to gear driven).

The b5 passat section on tdiclub is a great place to do some reading.

Passat's are really generally very good cars. From all the ones I work on, the only real common issues are cv boots tearing, typical PD cam wearing issues, and the chain driven balance shaft modules (need to be swapped to gear driven).

The b5 passat section on tdiclub is a great place to do some reading.

I talked to Geoff up at Colt last week. He was telling me all about the PD cam issues. He does have the fix!

That balance shaft should be more of a concern than the cam, however the cam is a known problem, I have replaced one in a PD Jetta. Not a cheap replacement!

The chained balance shaft is a ticking time bomb, if it goes, you're not moving oil anymore and parts could lodge.

I had a 05 with 90,000 on it bought it used from a couple that took very good care of it and they replaced the belt before we bought it just to be safe. Had it for a month and something internally went wrong, started smoking and would burn a quart of oil every hundred miles. I traded it on a new tdi jetta, wife loves this car calls it her suped up go cart!!!

Back