2005 poor milage

Have tried to load my smarty into this truck would not accept it, so I changed the ecm and same thing. Funny I have high idle from the cruse control now on the truck even with out the smarty.

Going to put the 3.73s in and look for some 35" tires. I have 8 33" a/t s to sell or trade for 6 35s.

I believe we are missing the big obvious picture. WHY is he running 30-35 psi at 70 mph when everybody here runs between 3-6 psi at the same speed. When my truck was a dually, and it has 4.10's it would get 17mpg..18 at best while empty. Your problem is to start with the huge boost numbers while just cruising around. Get yourself an ultimategauge and plug it in. Its only 70 bucks and see what your rail pressure, manifold temps etc are. Don't waste your money on new axles and tires as that will not explain the bad fuel numbers. The difference between 4.10's and 3.73's is negligible.

Drove the truck this week end with out the trailer. EMPTY!! Put on cruse at each of these speeds.

55mph 1750 +/- rpm 4.5-5lbs boost, reset truck computer shows 17mph

60mph 1800+rpm 6-7 lbs boost, reset 16mpg

65mph 2000 rpm 10 lbs boost, reset 14.9mpg

70mph 2200 rpm 14-15lbs boost, reset 13.5mpg

Normally hand calculations are 1-2mpg worst than what the truck says.

Last edited:
I believe we are missing the big obvious picture. WHY is he running 30-35 psi at 70 mph when everybody here runs between 3-6 psi at the same speed. When my truck was a dually, and it has 4.10's it would get 17mpg..18 at best while empty. Your problem is to start with the huge boost numbers while just cruising around. Get yourself an ultimategauge and plug it in. Its only 70 bucks and see what your rail pressure, manifold temps etc are. Don't waste your money on new axles and tires as that will not explain the bad fuel numbers. The difference between 4.10's and 3.73's is negligible.

Will have these numbers this week.

Is your waste gate hooked up properly? I asked in a previous post and didn't see your response.

still, way too high on the boost numbers. At 70 like i said earlier with 4.10's i see 3-5 psi. What is your egt at 70?

with 3.73 in 6th with 35's at 70 im making 10-15 lbs empty

Oh and Gib I believe the man does have a 2nd gen HEADER.... Dumba$$ Think before you type when try to "educate" someone when they obviously know what they have on their truck

Last edited:
with 3.73 in 6th with 35's at 70 im making 10-15 lbs empty

Oh and Gib I believe the man does have a 2nd gen HEADER.... Dumba$$ Think before you type when try to "educate" someone when they obviously know what they have on their truck

That he does. But as most people know, headers are not common on daily drivers. So I didn't know he was infact serious. But call me a dumbarse again. I don't take kindly to name calling like that. I'll gladly put you back in your place where you belong.

Is your waste gate hooked up properly? I asked in a previous post and didn't see your response.

No. Couldnt make it work at the time. so I have another stock turbo cover and exhaust manifold so going to cut off tabs and hook up waste gate. Working 12 hour days so first chance to pull the header, and weld tabs and we will see. Bet this is the problem and creating high drive pressure.

I have 04.5 w/ 4.10 gear and 33" tires. I get about 12mpg empty. 62/65/12, 5" pipe, fass. Just about same rpm and speed you see on your truck. I'm thinking about swapping out to 3.73 or 3.42 since I don't tow heavy stuff at all. I thought about swapping to 35's to make final drive taller but gaining rotational mass. I know it would help gaining fuel mileage or not. let us know how it goes if you swap out diffs and results.

wow ,i thought these dodges were suposed to get the best fuel milage ? my buddy keeps tellin me he used to get 24mpg on the highway empty with a 06 drw 4x4 and had a crazy larry and tst stacked .i tow big weight and my gauge shows 12-13 mpg but i think more like 10 actual . it's hard to tow at below 70mph because then it seems to lug the motor down and will drop speed . i don't like that it doesn't have much lowend on take offs . i thought i read where my truck had 4.10's but it doesn't seem to .at 70mph it's at 1800 rpm thats with a 4" delete cat ,int manifold ,heat delete ,cold air kit ,h&s tuner on 2nd setting (wild ) has 3 mild,wild,hot . anybody have any ideas for better lowend ? i'm thinking of some compounds ? better fuel milage as well ?

oh by the way before this i had a 06 ford drw 2wd crew and it got 13 mpg and towed nice .only problem was the damn thing went through 2 hpop in 1 year and also injectors a couple . i had a exaust ,a tow tune a guy in nc put into the ecm and a air kit . i just couldn't take getting towed in for the hpop or injectors .i haul cars state to state and people get pissed when your a week late !!lol

Gearing has a lot to do with the mileage. My 05 has 3.73s and a G56 trans which runs right at 2400RPM at 70, it got 13-14 MPG with a stock charger. It would run about 15-20lbs of boost at 70mph and about 25lbs at 75mph. I went to a 66/73/14 and GAINED about .5MPG and run about 5-10lbs of boost at 70-75. That is here in TX where everything is flat... if your in the hills everything will be off compared to mine, but you get the point.

I would throw on a cheap box BW62/14 turbo, run the valves, and throw in some 3.73s or 3.42s with SSR tuning. Tune all the smoke out, and it will def get better mileage.

pull your pyro from the manifold and place a cheap gauge in there to read the drive pressures. check your rail pressure cause if you have a low rail pressure with the larger injectors you will not get a good spray pattern in the piston bowl and loose mileage. My 05 with 35's and 3.73 with and automatic would get 18-19 mpg calculated until I totaled it. the 04.5 I have was getting 17-18 mpg but now is getting around 15 mpg cause I believe I have a cracked piston ring.

Ship it that 5" exhaust is actually hurting your mileage. when I bought my 04.5 it had a 5" when I swapped to my 4" duals i picked up 1-2 mpg.

Back