2006 cummins pilot injection

You can do either. I prefer no pilot but theirs more that goes into it than zeroing the tables out. Pilot basically keeps the engine quieter, preheats cylinder for pain event and aids in cold start ups.

Last edited:
On a DD tune I keep pilot active up to xxxxRPM...on a sled tune I don't use a pilot event.

On a DD tune I keep pilot active up to xxxxRPM...on a sled tune I don't use a pilot event.

I understand that when you remove pilot at say... 2k rpm... Then you need to bump the timing up to compensate for no initial fuel shot. Is that correct?
If so then the million buck question is how much? I mean how much timing to add when you remove pilot? 2-3 degrees?

(obviously if you care to disclose, if not no biggy)

Last edited:
As you go up in rpm the amount of main offset needed when eliminating pilot becomes less.

Say at 1000rpm you need 10* of additional main (arbitrary values) as you increase rpm cut-off up to say 3000rpm you may not need any main offset.

Make sense?

As you go up in rpm the amount of main offset needed when eliminating pilot becomes less.

Say at 1000rpm you need 10* of additional main (arbitrary values) as you increase rpm cut-off up to say 3000rpm you may not need any main offset.

Make sense?

Sure does. I have been running pilot all the way up, but lately have gotten bored with my tuning so I wanted to play with removing it above 2k and see what happens.

thanks for the info.

Eliminating pilot that low will take some time to dial it in correctly but easily done.

Also keep in mind that pilot is from the start of the main injection event and not TDC.

Back