2006 F250 would it be worth buying

EricStaab

Sponsor
Found a real clean 2006 F250 6.0 L Super Duty. It has 246,000 miles. Looking at using it for a shop truck. What kind of issues should I be aware of , problems ect. What kind of fuel mileage is typical for this year?

Sellers asking 9500 obo. No rust well maintained.

My dad's truck is a 2006 6.0 and he loves his, hasn't had the issues that most 6.0s have. Granted his has way less miles on it.

I have 2005 with 413000 miles u get a good one or u get a bad one im looking to do a cummins conversion soon .but people seem to still be having problems getting trans to shift reading and hoping for a solution to have a good dependible truck when finished

Matt at gearhead, and Eric at innovative are tuneing the factory pcm and having much better results than the pcs. Eric did my 12 valve with the 5r behind it and shifting is great. Took a little bit of time to get the pedal (tps) linear with throttle linkage - plus I wanted to keep my power pedals
cb583639e4c2b4c3be27d45dd1fec6d2.jpg

Very happy with the setup.

when u get time if u could tell me how long it took and did u remove cab. im looking at a96 12 valve with 234000 do u think u would put it in i though front and rear seal replace killer dowl fix new injectors maybe new turbo.

Found a real clean 2006 F250 6.0 L Super Duty. It has 246,000 miles. Looking at using it for a shop truck. What kind of issues should I be aware of , problems ect. What kind of fuel mileage is typical for this year?

Sellers asking 9500 obo. No rust well maintained.

I wouldn't be shy to buy another one, but I know what to look for and what to expect.

If you know how to fix trucks then there is no better deal on a diesel truck than a 6.0l.

I wouldn't be shy to buy another one, but I know what to look for and what to expect.

If you know how to fix trucks then there is no better deal on a diesel truck than a 6.0l.

x2, As long as the body isn't trashed I don't hesitate to buy 6.0's cheap. In my book they're not nearly as problematic as people let on. I will agree that there a few 6.0's that are a lost cause though.LOL

As long as you do fuel filters religiously and change your oil you "usually" will stay pretty trouble free. Other than that I recommend doing an EGR delete on a 6.0 basically as soon as you can. Once the coolers block up they superheat the coolant and blow head gaskets. They are also prone to IPR valve failures (they regulate the high pressure oil), high pressure oil leaks (o rings, SCT fittings, injector o rings, branch tubes, etc.), and FICM failures (about $700).
My brother bought an 03 that didn't run for $5500 and I put a FICM in it and it fired up and ran. Threw a code for low contribution #7 so we put an injector in #7. Code kept coming back so he got a relative compression test done with the Ford IDS software and came up severely low on compression in #7. Wasn't using coolant but was using oil. He found a 12 valve to replace the engine with and after pulling the head off the 6.0 when we got it out, we found the wrist pin clip had broken and the pin was cutting a groove through the cylinder wall and the rod was also slightly bent.
The 12 valve swap is done now and he loves it. We removed the 5R110 because he was told by a few transmission builders known for ford transmissions that the 5R's don't really like the low end torque a cummins produces. He ended up getting a John Wood? (I think that's his name) 4R100 and converter and a PCS controller. I tuned the PCS and he loves it. The PCS' program can get a little confusing for some but is actually pretty simple if you have a general understanding of what the transmission is doing, or trying to do, and what the sensors should be seeing and when. The tune ability is great and is nice because you can tune it while driving down the road if you want. Or you can datalog and have PCS' techs make changes for you through e mails sending programs back and forth. I wouldn't be scared as long as the body isn't shot. Just always keep a 12 valve hidden away for when the day comes... Lol

I love 6.0's

Just bought another one last weekend. 07 lariat with 200k on it. runs/drives great. Interior is good, front end is tight, etc.

I love 12v trucks, but you get WAY more for your money buying a 6.0 vs. a 12v :eek:

Back