2006 qclb dually charging issues

crackerman

I cant find any info that seems relevant to these, it is all geared towards up to 02 models.
My father in laws truck is not charging the batteries. I am not close enough to easily help him out. He has replaced the alternator and it is still not charging. Can he install an external regulator like an earlier truck if the tipm has bombed? And where are the instructions? Thanks

The ECM controls the charging. It senses the voltage on the drivers side battery. It could be an ECM issue. Has happened before.

I'd check the fusable link from alt to pass battery first than look at the big ground at ECM mounting bolt / block.

is the ecm on the side of the block what controls it? i read on other places it was the TIPM under the dash. I will forward that information along to him. If it is the ecm, can a voltage regulator be retrofitted in like older trucks?

Yes , the ECM on driver side of engine , the big ground Wire that connects to the aluminum plate it's mounted to and to the block is the ground for the charging system . I'd take those loose and clean them up and check the fusable link and make sure it's good than go from there.

Back