2012 6-speed auto's

blos101

Life Saver
I'm debating on trading/selling the truck thats in my profile picture (which is a manual) to get a new 2012 6.7 automatic. How are the new transmissions holding up?? Someone told me that the parts in them would interchange with Allison automatic parts?? Looking for some facts. Thanks let me know.

I'm in the exact opposite spot. I wish my 2012 was a manual instead of an auto. I love the truck, just not sold on the auto. I've actually been tossing around the idea of swapping in a manual.

I don't pull any heavy trailers anymore and it would be something my gf could actually drive. Those are the only reasons. Otherwise I would keep the manual dually. Heck it only has 16,000 miles on it and its a 2010.

I have a 2012 with the auto and 4.10 gears, it does great pulling my 33ft camper. I did the deletes and a H&S mini max and have never turned it above level 1. I had to buy their transmission software also because I did not like the way it shifted after downloading the mini max to it. I would have left it bone stock, but some engineer thought it would be a good idea to load up the intake with soot.

It's my understanding the 2013 will have a good jump of power to the 3500. I would at least wait to see, but I'm the type of guy that wants the newest and best.

That's my biggest gripe with the auto is the way that it shifts. It shifts way to soon ( I guess to try and squeeze MPG's out ), but I can't stand it. I'll be doing 45 mph and the tranny will be in 6th gear at about 1100 rpms luggin' like crazy. I've learned to drive around with the tow/haul mode on, and it shifts night and day better, but still not great.

I think it "can" be a great tranny....the shifting quirks just need to be figured out.

The 68re/rfe and aisin are Completly different transmissions.

I have a 2012 manual Trans and love it! But I'm a control freak and also just like to drive a manual. If you don't care when and if the truck shifts go with the auto, if you want the control go manual.

What gear ratio is everyone running. I wasn't sure about the 4.10's, but I am glad I have them now. I usually have a trailer behind it.

3.73's in mine...wish I had the 4.10's since I'm running 35" tires now.

The new cummins can't pull a set of 35's with 3.55's?

My ford pulls 35's with 13k off the 5th wheel no problem.

It pulls them fine, just 4.10s would be nicer. The only time the tire size is noticeable is when driving under 50 mph around town. The tranny is in overdrive by 45mph and it'll lug then ( unless i use the tow/haul mode). Other than that, it's fine. Pulls my 5th wheel great.

Mine seems great. With the added power I didn't it was going to last. But after a few days it adapted to the new power and works great.
I now run 4.56's with 37's.

I have 3.73's with 33" and when I am towing heavy in the 60mph range, I use 5th gear.

Same here....

I am sure it would do it in 6th, just like to be in the 1800-2200 rpm range. Don't want to really lug it.

I thought of going with 3.42 gears and some 35" tires and running in 4th.

The only time I use 6th when towing is on the interstate, or if the road is nice and flat. Whenever I get in the hills, I always leave it in 5th. 6th gear puts the rpm down low enough that the turbo seems to take forever to spool up, but once it lights, you're off to the races. I just like the responsiveness of 5th gear better in the hills.

I have a 2012 auto w/ all the deletes, and H&S programming and its def key to have the transmission upgrade software from H&S. Shifts and operates way better. No questions asked.

Back