2015 Texas Diesel Nationals, Ennis TX Roll Call

Really Ken? First of all plenty of trucks capable of running the number and yes some went under and closer than your described 11.20. I guess you forget the first year of SD and the ET's being all over the place.

So they had 5 in Cali and what 7 in Texas sign up? How many pro street trucks at those events? Besides with your outlook on everything no one should have showed up to race at all because of the forecast....

How many trucks didn't come? You are becoming the poster boy for the grumpy, pessimistic old man stereotype.. Lets also not mention announcing the class only 3 months before the season opener..:kick:

I seem to remember the statement that there were lots of trucks wanting the class especially in that area. Don't buy the weather statement, lots of trucks in sportsman and 11.90. There were some trucks in the first year of 11.90 that ran the number close most of the time, Verlon and me for example, as well as the fellow with the rat rod. I'm no going to go back and wade through the video and try and see how many trucks actually went quicker than 11.20, PhilipF said he did so I'l take his word for it.

It's damn expensive to build a superstreet or prostreet truck and they break pretty easy. I'm assuming some of those trucks decided not to run because they want to concentrate on the outlaw series. The announcement lead time shouldn't have made any difference since the statement was made there were a number of them sitting on the sidelines because they didn't feel they had a class that fit their trucks. I call BS on that. Grumpy old man stereotype?? Probably.... get use to it. :shake:

Looks like you all had a great time this weekend and everyone seemed to have some luck....except the king of civilized diesel. Sad to see that.

I think I can take Brandon in the Toyota if he is runnin' 21 second quarters. :hehe:

11149202_732857746835044_59875765_n_zpsacktx1at.jpg

...or did Hogue get the rail off the blocks and the pass on the right is the RIV?

I personally thought it was a good event. Well run as usual and good turnout. Even the pulls started basically on time....that takes a small miracle all by itself. LOL

We ran a gold 4 door long bed in the 10.90 class. Ran a 10.981 the 1st time of elimintaions and a 11.1 the second. Pretty close to a 10.90 if you ask me, not to mention the track near us has closed down so not much seat time in it. The 59 ford ran well, 12.87 with a 12mm rotary pump and stock injectors. Time to add some fuel and go for the 11.90 class

I seem to remember the statement that there were lots of trucks wanting the class especially in that area. Don't buy the weather statement, lots of trucks in sportsman and 11.90. There were some trucks in the first year of 11.90 that ran the number close most of the time, Verlon and me for example, as well as the fellow with the rat rod. I'm no going to go back and wade through the video and try and see how many trucks actually went quicker than 11.20, PhilipF said he did so I'l take his word for it.

It's damn expensive to build a superstreet or prostreet truck and they break pretty easy. I'm assuming some of those trucks decided not to run because they want to concentrate on the outlaw series. The announcement lead time shouldn't have made any difference since the statement was made there were a number of them sitting on the sidelines because they didn't feel they had a class that fit their trucks. I call BS on that. Grumpy old man stereotype?? Probably.... get use to it. :shake:

Ken we sure would not expect you to wade through the video. Far be it for anyone to think you would bother with trivial stuff like facts or results to back up your accusations / argument.

Funny you mentioning the first year of 11.90. I guess you and Verlon did not make it to Texas that year because the guy who won it that year never ran faster than a 12.3X with a best RT of .3XX. I also know another truck in the semis ran everything from a 11.7X to a 12.4X and never a 11.9 or even a 12.0.

You are probably right though weather forecasts I'm sure had nothing to do with some not showing. Wait where were Rob and Verlon? Not blaming them at all just a quick example. Had I had more than a 3 month notice of the class I likely could have fielded an entry for the class. But lets see... Two races in the books this season lets compare some numbers of entries.
TD - 0
Pro/Stk - 4 (3 of which were at one race)
PS - 4 (all 4 at only one race)
10.90 - 12 (5 in Cali 7 in TX)

I might also add on 2 more trucks in 11.90 than 10.90 in Cali and only 2 more SS entries than 10.90. I guess if a class fields as many entries or more than the top 3 class's combined at each event its first two races it is perfectly viable to consider it a flop... :doh:

I might also add for some one who walked away from participating in the sport completely we sure appreciate all your support in improving things...

Last edited:
Stupid people keep talking to me... And my stupid brain thinks it's agood idea..

Stupid rollbar,...
i May just be competing in 10.90 by Tulsa.......

You are probably right though weather forecasts I'm sure had nothing to do with some not showing. Wait where were Rob and Verlon?

2800 mile round trip with 80% chance of rain helped me make the decision to go to the local track and have some cheap fun.

I thought the 10.90 turn out was pretty amazing myself. I do believe that it took trucks away from the SS and SD classes so not sure if the class has added 7 trucks to the day of competition. I guess the 10.90 guys know best on that front.

2800 mile round trip with 80% chance of rain helped me make the decision to go to the local track and have some cheap fun.

I thought the 10.90 turn out was pretty amazing myself. I do believe that it took trucks away from the SS and SD classes so not sure if the class has added 7 trucks to the day of competition. I guess the 10.90 guys know best on that front.

I agree with you. I only know one for sure that it would not have pulled from SS or SD but I was to busy trying to double class in SM and SD in two different trucks to see much of anything.

As for the decision to stay home you guys were missed but I think everyone understands the decision. Especially knowing how little you guys travel each season as it is... :hehe:

OUCH!
Seriously, I have done full schedule seasons before and may again. My 15 year old son is drag racing his LS1 Z28 for his first year of racing. I'm enjoying going to the track with him and just enjoying the sport again. He went from a mid 14 second first pass to a 12.81 his first day of racing. Yesterday he knocked it down to a 12.64.

Ken we sure would not expect you to wade through the video. Far be it for anyone to think you would bother with trivial stuff like facts or results to back up your accusations / argument.

Funny you mentioning the first year of 11.90. I guess you and Verlon did not make it to Texas that year because the guy who won it that year never ran faster than a 12.3X with a best RT of .3XX. I also know another truck in the semis ran everything from a 11.7X to a 12.4X and never a 11.9 or even a 12.0.

You are probably right though weather forecasts I'm sure had nothing to do with some not showing. Wait where were Rob and Verlon? Not blaming them at all just a quick example. Had I had more than a 3 month notice of the class I likely could have fielded an entry for the class. But lets see... Two races in the books this season lets compare some numbers of entries.
TD - 0
Pro/Stk - 4 (3 of which were at one race)
PS - 4 (all 4 at only one race)
10.90 - 12 (5 in Cali 7 in TX)

I might also add on 2 more trucks in 11.90 than 10.90 in Cali and only 2 more SS entries than 10.90. I guess if a class fields as many entries or more than the top 3 class's combined at each event its first two races it is perfectly viable to consider it a flop... :doh:

I might also add for some one who walked away from participating in the sport completely we sure appreciate all your support in improving things...

As I said it's damn expensive to build a Super/Pro Street truck, and you are right there were not many at either of the first two races. 1600-2000 miles of travel for the west coast guys I'm sure is one of the major reasons and you are right the crappy weather forcast earlier in the week probably held off some of the long distance guys, I know Verlon did mention it. Rob is cutting back this year to attend more to his business and family. But it sure as hell shouldn't have kept the guys within a 4-5 hour drive away.

I did take the time and look through the video, there were 6 passes made in round one of qualifying in 10.90 with the best qualifying one an 11.31. Three very slow passes and one 11.81 and another that was too quick at 10.89. Round 2 there were 5 passes made, three pretty good with the best being a 10.98. I don't pay any attention to the eliminations because you are pretty much fender racing and times will be all over the place unless it is really a close race.

I didn't expect much of a turnout in 10.90 in Bakersfield as most who were pushing for it were from Texas and east. Maybe they are waiting for the Outlaw races? I'm busting your balls, because your handy and a bit because you have for the last 2 or 3 years said there were a number of guys who would race if there was a class. I would have thought you would have been beating the drums trying to get the more local guys to come out.

I don't understand your statement about not enough time to get ready, Randy announced the class the 30th of December. You said in an earlier post that your truck flirted with 135mph when you made a 10.50 pass?? You no longer have that truck?

As far as me supporting the sport, I've joined NHRDA back in the beginning as my membership number is 4069. First one went to Bill Allen at #4000, and I have had built three very competitive race trucks racing all over the country as far east as Indy and Brainard MN. As I said after the 2012 finals that I started drag racing in 1960 and I had enough, especially of the travel. I was a truck owner in the 2013 and 2014 season. but I did race one last race in 2014 at Woodburn just before I sold my last truck. I think I've paid my dues and can say and criticize as much as I want when it comes to Diesel Drag Racing. I think I have tried to help the sport better an a lot of other racers not only with suggestions but by travel and attending events far from home and on my dime. When the guys in the South and East start travelling as much as the West and Canadian guys then we might have better talking points.

You told us there were a lot of guys who would race if we had a class for them, where were they? 10.90 is a hot street truck, lots of them around, you do have to add safety equipment but it doesn't take 4 1/2 months to do that. If the cost of doing it is beyond a racers budget then turn it down and race 11.90/12.0. So far the best drivers are in that class and it's fun to drive and watch.

I assume you'll be in Denver racing 10.90 with a large Texas 10.90 contingent??:poke:

Last edited:
OUCH!
Seriously, I have done full schedule seasons before and may again. My 15 year old son is drag racing his LS1 Z28 for his first year of racing. I'm enjoying going to the track with him and just enjoying the sport again. He went from a mid 14 second first pass to a 12.81 his first day of racing. Yesterday he knocked it down to a 12.64.

Sorry Rob that was sarcasm. I can't see anyone giving you, Verlon, John, Ryan or Jarid a hard time about missing a race.

I bet it is way more fun watching him race. Congrats on that!

Sorry Rob that was sarcasm. I can't see anyone giving you, Verlon, John, Ryan or Jarid a hard time about missing a race.

I bet it is way more fun watching him race. Congrats on that!

Oh I know you were just kidding around, no offense taken. I've been taking the truck to the track also, getting it dialed in. The real reason I didn't go to Texas is I was scared of Daniel and Wade...

As I said it's damn expensive to build a Super/Pro Street truck, and you are right there were not many at either of the first two races. 1600-2000 miles of travel for the west coast guys I'm sure is one of the major reasons and you are right the crappy weather forcast earlier in the week probably held off some of the long distance guys, I know Verlon did mention it. Rob is cutting back this year to attend more to his business and family. But it sure as hell shouldn't have kept the guys within a 4-5 hour drive away.

I did take the time and look through the video, there were 6 passes made in round one of qualifying in 10.90 with the best qualifying one an 11.31. Three very slow passes and one 11.81 and another that was too quick at 10.89. Round 2 there were 5 passes made, three pretty good with the best being a 10.98. I don't pay any attention to the eliminations because you are pretty much fender racing and times will be all over the place unless it is really a close race.

I didn't expect much of a turnout in 10.90 in Bakersfield as most who were pushing for it were from Texas and east. Maybe they are waiting for the Outlaw races? I'm busting your balls, because your handy and a bit because you have for the last 2 or 3 years said there were a number of guys who would race if there was a class. I would have thought you would have been beating the drums trying to get the more local guys to come out.

I don't understand your statement about not enough time to get ready, Randy announced the class the 30th of December. You said in an earlier post that your truck flirted with 135mph when you made a 10.50 pass?? You no longer have that truck?

As far as me supporting the sport, I've joined NHRDA back in the beginning as my membership number is 4069. First one went to Bill Allen at #4000, and I have had built three very competitive race trucks racing all over the country as far east as Indy and Brainard MN. As I said after the 2012 finals that I started drag racing in 1960 and I had enough, especially of the travel. I was a truck owner in the 2013 and 2014 season. but I did race one last race in 2014 at Woodburn just before I sold my last truck. I think I've paid my dues and can say and criticize as much as I want when it comes to Diesel Drag Racing. I think I have tried to help the sport better an a lot of other racers not only with suggestions but by travel and attending events far from home and on my dime. When the guys in the South and East start travelling as much as the West and Canadian guys then we might have better talking points.

You told us there were a lot of guys who would race if we had a class for them, where were they? 10.90 is a hot street truck, lots of them around, you do have to add safety equipment but it doesn't take 4 1/2 months to do that. If the cost of doing it is beyond a racers budget then turn it down and race 11.90/12.0. So far the best drivers are in that class and it's fun to drive and watch.

I assume you'll be in Denver racing 10.90 with a large Texas 10.90 contingent??:poke:

My truck is a torn apart roller at the moment. I actually sold it after grenading the engine in the WF's a few years back against the HS truck the year of diesel TV. I reacquired the chassis last September in hopes of a 10.50 index. I spoke with Randy regarding the class back then prior to finals. I tore it down as nothing looked like it was going to happen. I was also in the middle of upgrading my other truck. The first of the year announcement and still trying to finish my other build kept me from doing anything with it. That and deciding to go 10.90 with the class. I am back and forth now on do I just put a bar in the SD truck.

Will I be running 10.90 in Denver? No I will not be able to pull that off. If I get the current truck sorted out I might put a bar in it for OK. I already have everything else safety wise.

Just so you know yes I beat the drum considering some who pushed me to push for the class backed away when they decided to go 10.90 vs 10.50. These people will remain nameless at this time but ironically one of them did end up running the class.

So yes 2 seasons ago several trucks were ready for a 10 second class. Several of those people are no where to be seen anymore...

Back