2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

So there will be two open drive line classes now? 2.6 and 3.6? Will a current 3.0 truck be able to fit the new 2.6 rules with just a turbo change? Why the need for two similar classes?

So there will be two open drive line classes now? 2.6 and 3.6? Will a current 3.0 truck be able to fit the new 2.6 rules with just a turbo change? Why the need for two similar classes?

3.0 and 3.6 smooth. Both dot tires and ODL. East coast ppl will run cuts. 3.0 smooth will most likely still have to be a full body truck and full oem bed floor. Which will knock out most all the 3.6 smooth bore trucks.

3.0 smooth will most likely still have to be a full body truck and full oem bed floor. Which will knock out most all the 3.6 smooth bore trucks.

Couldn't the current 3.0 trucks (new 3.6) take a factory floor and use 1/4 turn fasteners to put them back in place? I can't remember any wording that says that they can't be removable, just says they have to be there. That will be less work than the current 2.6 class trucks will be up to with driveline changes.

Although depending on how competitive the 3.0 trucks were for current rules I would guess they will have some engine changes for the smaller class also.

Last edited:
I am sure you will see PPL drop the turbo sizes from the names and go to something like Pro-Stock Diesel 4x4.

I can't wait to see the new Pro-Stock guys jump up and run with the Supper Stocks.

Yeah, they'll make plenty of power to be competitive. You here the super stock guys say all the time they are traction limited. They all make more power than they can hook, that's why you see them pedal it out too 100'-150' or so.

Lol, yeah right... It's way more competitive than you think. A 4.1 will NOT be competitive or consistent in the SS class! There was a couple good running 4.1's at Scheid that weren't near the top... When Kusilek had a good run with his 5.1" on the right track, he could compete...

It's just like the ProStock semis vs. SS semis... On certain tracks the SS can gear up and drive them out, and the ProStock can't and stay on the charger, or they can't drive them as easy and the multi-chargers shine...

There's a local Super/Pro mixed tractor class... And the SS tractors dominate the ProStock guys get spanked more often than not!

Couldn't the current 3.0 trucks (new 3.6) take a factory floor and use 1/4 turn fasteners to put them back in place? .

That might be a possibility. Although the way our truck is it wouldn't really work. We basically just have skins for the bed and no floor in the cab at all.

From what I've been hearing 3.6 and 3.0 smooth bore possibly will cut the power back on some of the trucks that were running this year

I'm gonna put a new body on our truck....that being said, I'm leaning towards putting the OEM floor and box floor in it...just to make the truck easier to sell, or possibility of switching classes in the future.

I'm gonna put a new body on our truck....that being said, I'm leaning towards putting the OEM floor and box floor in it...just to make the truck easier to sell, or possibility of switching classes in the future.

Would have to loose the tilt cab also, that's not allowed in 2.6 either I don't believe.

Lol, yeah right... It's way more competitive than you think. A 4.1 will NOT be competitive or consistent in the SS class! There was a couple good running 4.1's at Scheid that weren't near the top... When Kusilek had a good run with his 5.1" on the right track, he could compete...

It's just like the ProStock semis vs. SS semis... On certain tracks the SS can gear up and drive them out, and the ProStock can't and stay on the charger, or they can't drive them as easy and the multi-chargers shine...

There's a local Super/Pro mixed tractor class... And the SS tractors dominate the ProStock guys get spanked more often than not!

I agree we were one of the 4.1 trucks that pulled at schieds. The winning truck put 50' on us both nights. I'm sure there are other trucks running a 4.1 that run much harder than ours. Regardless I dont think throwing on a 4.1 and cuts will make you competitive right off the hop. The gap would be closer on a loose track for sure. Just thought I would share our experience.

Would have to loose the tilt cab also, that's not allowed in 2.6 either I don't believe.

I don't agree with their stupid choice on that rule, but honestly, it will make my truck lighter having the cab fixed... Worst part is next season there will be Haisley trucks with gutted stuff and PPL will ignore the rules for them and in 2 years all will be gutted....

I agree we were one of the 4.1 trucks that pulled at schieds. The winning truck put 50' on us both nights. I'm sure there are other trucks running a 4.1 that run much harder than ours. Regardless I dont think throwing on a 4.1 and cuts will make you competitive right off the hop. The gap would be closer on a loose track for sure. Just thought I would share our experience.

You guys were one I was speaking of....that truck makes steam on that 4.1...maybe not the most power, but I'd bet more than competitive

In our area this year with the Badger State Tractor Pullers there were 2 dedicated 3.0 trucks with a few more making some pulls. In the 2.6 class there were 5 dedicated pullers with a few more making some pulls. I don't expect to see two diesel truck classes in Badger State next year. If the rules are written in a way to not allow the current 3.0 trucks to be able to run with the current 2.6 class trucks in the new 3.0 class there might not be enough trucks to support the new class. Some of the current 2.6 trucks may decide to not run with the new PPL rules and concentrate on other clubs. There just isn't enough current 3.0 trucks to support the new 3.6 class. Having the current 2.6 and 3.0 combine into a new class would improve the shows going forward around here. :Cheer:

You change the rules to cater to those two 3.0 trucks your going to lose numbers aswell. They didn't have to build 3.0 trucks. That was their choice.

In our area this year with the Badger State Tractor Pullers there were 2 dedicated 3.0 trucks with a few more making some pulls. In the 2.6 class there were 5 dedicated pullers with a few more making some pulls. I don't expect to see two diesel truck classes in Badger State next year. If the rules are written in a way to not allow the current 3.0 trucks to be able to run with the current 2.6 class trucks in the new 3.0 class there might not be enough trucks to support the new class. Some of the current 2.6 trucks may decide to not run with the new PPL rules and concentrate on other clubs. There just isn't enough current 3.0 trucks to support the new 3.6 class. Having the current 2.6 and 3.0 combine into a new class would improve the shows going forward around here. :Cheer:
Should of made some hooks mark. There is 10 members in the 2.6 and the least that showed up think was 5 other wise was 8 or more. And as for badger state most if not all don't want odl maybe the big rear axles but not sure on that and the 3.0 trucks don't want to change at all either. We will find out when we have the rules meeting if just us truck pullers

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

What is really the big difference if the current 2.6 goes to open drive line? The current 3.0 trucks only cut the bed floor out because the weight dropped from 8000 to 7800. That was supposedly for less breakage. Wouldn't the 2.6 people like water injection? That keeps the EGT's down and reduces engine failures. I just don't see a big difference.

I say if the current 3.0 trucks want to drop down to the smooth bore 3.0 class with a gutted truck let them run it at 7600-7700#. There really isn't just a chit ton or weight there.

Should of made some hooks mark. There is 10 members in the 2.6 and the least that showed up think was 5 other wise was 8 or more. And as for badger state most if not all don't want odl maybe the big rear axles but not sure on that and the 3.0 trucks don't want to change at all either. We will find out when we have the rules meeting if just us truck pullers

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

BSTP 2015 Point Standings

2.6 =

I see only three to five dedicated pullers making most of the pulls.

3.0 =

Yes, there are others that pick and choose and some that don't join the club.

BSTP 2015 Point Standings

2.6 =

I see only three to five dedicated pullers making most of the pulls.

3.0 =

Yes, there are others that pick and choose and some that don't join the club.
I missed one pull got 5th place points rest either had problems or was waiting on parts and didn't get out till later in the year.

What is really the big difference if the current 2.6 goes to open drive line? The current 3.0 trucks only cut the bed floor out because the weight dropped from 8000 to 7800. That was supposedly for less breakage. Wouldn't the 2.6 people like water injection? That keeps the EGT's down and reduces engine failures. I just don't see a big difference.

There are quite a few guys not running water. In recent times less are using it from what I've seen, been told and advised.

badger has a meeting coming up don't they? any interest in that club of not following the ppl rules and doing their own thing

Back