241 DLD, DHD, and 271 differences

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
What Are The Differences Between Automatic And Manual Transmission Truck Transfercases ?

I need To Change Out The DLD In My 96 Automatic Truck.

Sorry For The Capitalized Letters, One Of The Problems Of Owning An Android Phone...

Certain DHDs from mid-1996 and up also use a 32 spline output.
These are ID-ed by the 1-piece extension housing, bolted on a main case with a PTO port.

If you need a replacement DLD, I do have a good one from another 1996 with an auto.

Ma

Certain DHDs from mid-1996 and up also use a 32 spline output.
These are ID-ed by the 1-piece extension housing, bolted on a main case with a PTO port.

If you need a replacement DLD, I do have a good one from another 1996 with an auto.

Ma

I always called those the 2 piece cone DLD with a PTO cover. LOL

I have what would I called a true DHD, it has the larger output, a PTO and an auto input. I would be willing to sell. I don't know the history on it, I purchased it used held it for a spare, and never needed it.

I always called those the 2 piece cone DLD with a PTO cover. LOL

I have what would I called a true DHD, it has the larger output, a PTO and an auto input. I would be willing to sell. I don't know the history on it, I purchased it used held it for a spare, and never needed it.
There's actually 3 different "commonly available" DHD t-cases that I have ever seen.

1 version is a glorified DLD, has a multi-piece extension and a small output.
Another is the mid-1996 and 1997 with the 32 spline output and the speedo sensor assembly in the extension.

The 3rd version is the 1998 up, which has a blind hole where the speedo assembly goes.

A 4th version of the DHD is out there, which was used in the last 1/4 of 2002 production.
It used an electric switch in lieu of the vacuum switch in that port, because those last few 2002 trucks didn't have an axle disconnect.
That's a very rare 241DHD t-case that I have only ever seen 1 of.

Then again, how many 2002 trucks WITHOUT the CAD has anyone ever seen?

Mark.

Will Jones Has One Up In Cairo Georgia And I'm Probably Going To Buy It From Him. I Just Wanted To Ask What All Would Fit Cause Its Hard To Find Correct Info...

Not if he's putting back what he's taking out.

Mark.

yea lol, i assumed he would know that, i was referencing if he with a large output dhd. also think u will need to shorten driveshaft. not sure on that though.

As Long As It Bolts On The Trans, Anything After That I Don't Care As Long As My 4X4 Works, I'll Gladly Put A New Yoke On The Drive Shaft And Shorten It...

I've Got A Completely Rebuilt Front Axle Under The Truck With EMS free Spin Kit, Ford Outers, And Inner And Outer 35 Spline Moser Shafts That I Installed In 2009 And It's Never Been Locked In 4x4...

Another is the mid-1996 and 1997 with the 32 spline output and the speedo sensor assembly in the extension.

Good info, Looks like I have one of these. But I wish mine was a 29 spline input instead of 23...

Good info, Looks like I have one of these. But I wish mine was a 29 spline input instead of 23...

I just acquired another one of them, myself.
They are good property, but they still have the early shift pattern, which has baffled a few that put them in the 1998-up trucks, until they figured it out.

Mark.

I'm lucky I found one when my DLD busted, a DHD with a speedo pickup in the tail shaft, I broke it during a 4000mile trip.

A friend reminded me of that over the phone tonight, just gotta source the part. Probably be easier than trying to find a 29 input DHD with the speedo setup I need.

A friend reminded me of that over the phone tonight, just gotta source the part. Probably be easier than trying to find a 29 input DHD with the speedo setup I need.
I'm going to make this easier for you.
Go to the link below, which is an Ebay seller I use all the time to buy odds and ends NV4500 and 241 parts.
The link shows 2 different Ebay listings for NP241 29 spline inputs, 1 for a wide bearing, the other for a narrow.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=np241&_ssn=gear5th&_from=R40%7CR40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xnp241+input&_nkw=np241+input&_sacat=0

There may be other suppliers out there that are cheaper, but this guy is a very reliable shipper.

Mark.

Wow, thanks for that Mark! I guess I need to tear mine down again to see which I have? I always thought the DLD was narrow and the DHD was wide. Mine's the one piece output with a PTO cover.

Last edited:
I've found DLDs with either wide or narrow, so anymore I always check, or I order one of each. :hehe:

FYI, the one piece extension is "nearly" exclusive to the DHD t-case.
The ONLY other exception to that is the "dummy" t-case (NV023, I believe?) used in the Cab & Chassis trucks that had an automatic and the PTO option.

Mark.

I stand corrected on the "dummy" t-case, it's model designation is NV021 and here's a pic of it.

331269899499_1.jpg

Mark.

I have seen one 2002 60 front without the CAD, would love to swap one into my 99. Right now I just perma locked the CAD in my 60, tired of dealing with ****ty vacuum actuators that never work right.

Back