24V conversion issues

BBD Performance

Awe Hell
So i bought a 2000 motor that had an auto behind it and put it in a older truck with a stick behind it
so if you rev above (guessing no tach) 1300 RPM the throttle goes no more you push to the floor and it just stays the same RPM.....

I dont have the OBD II port so i took to cummins and they told me
ECM idle switch low voltage something or another indicating the TPS being bad and charged me 100 bucks

so I changed the TPS with a good one I had and same issue

another shop told me that being the ECM and motor was once pared with an auto tranny and needed to see the trans to work and this has a manual?

any one have any ideas this motor is 100% complete stock besides the way I tapped the harness as seen below

Plug with white lever:

VP44 relay control_________brown/white tracer_____________relay post 86

VP44 power______________Red/green tracer______________ relay post 87

ECM power______________Large red/white tracer___________Constant hot

Key on ECM______________light green/black tracer_________ignition wire key hot

Black plug

ECM and sensor grounds________Black/ brown tracer________GROUND

it starts and idles fine and it just wont rev past that RPM

Last edited:
Didn't 2000 have torque management on the auto's? Can you get the rear wheel spinning?

ya but there is no wiring past the motor tho I can drive it but it only will go maybe 40 MPH in 5th because it wont rev

codes from cummins

P0121
Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Signal Volts Do Not Agree w/Idle Validation Signal

and a whole bunch more like no dash communication, no grid hearers ect ect but thats just little stuff that has no effect on the actual running of the motor

Last edited:
Wonder if APPS idle switch goes through the PCM somehow, and since you don't have a PCM that might be the issue. Looks like your gonna have pull out the service manual.

Check the can and crank sensors..there has to be a way to test those without buying new ones

Wonder if APPS idle switch goes through the PCM somehow, and since you don't have a PCM that might be the issue. Looks like your gonna have pull out the service manual.

well the last conversion i did was on a 98.5 and it worked great

hmmm well lots of work to do now *bdh*

Thats what I was told but I took to cummins and they plugged into the 3 round connector on the side of the block and told me that you cant program for auto or maunual just tranny on or tranny off???

what am I missing

could be wrong but the 98.5-99 had the crank sensor on the block by the dipstick and the 00-02 just used the cam sensor that is under the VP?

could be wrong but the 98.5-99 had the crank sensor on the block by the dipstick and the 00-02 just used the cam sensor that is under the VP?

01 02 only have a cam sensor. 00 has crank and cam. A r.a.d. will not do anything on a 00

well would ya know that a 5 speed ECM needs to see a tranny and a 6 speed dose not??

that was my issue and this is why....

what cummins told me "it is either tranny on or tranny off" is correct

tranny on is for an auto tranny
tranny off is just for the speed limiter and it defuels when it has no signal or when you exceed the set MPH

Thats what I was told but I took to cummins and they plugged into the 3 round connector on the side of the block and told me that you cant program for auto or maunual just tranny on or tranny off???

what am I missing

You have to get DODGE dealer to flash to a manual, not Cummins. Or you can do it via Pass-Thru Device using www. techauthority.com. Easyest to get Dodge dealer to do it. The other part of this is, if you arn't using the PCM as well in the wiring the ECM won't talk to you. Dont ask wy from what I can gather the PCM has the dominant node. So you will have to mount it in one of your mates truck and flash it like that. Hope this helps. The reason it wont rev past that point the ECM is waiting for the tail shaft rotation input. Seeing the manual dont have one, the ECM thinks it is free reving. You cant give it that input becuase it is transmited by the CAN-BUS system and you dont have all that up. It is all tied into the speed sensors on the brakes. Gets harder and harder.

Last edited:
Back