24v fuel temp and heater

Opinions Vary

I have a quadzilla adrenaline and an airdog fuel system.
-Fuel line bypasses stock lift pump, fuel filter, fuel heater. . .
-quadzilla is plugged in to the map sensor and reads fuel temp

In the summer when my fuel level gets low, the fuel temperature rises to around 160 degrees. When it reaches aroung 150 the vp44 quits working and wont start until it has had time to cool down. So to solve this, keep the fuel level higher and pop the hood when you can to release heat. When you stop and shut the truck off, the lack of air actually causes the pump and fuel temp to get hotter.

So my question is this, if my airdog bypasses the fuel heater and temp sensor how the heck does the gauge read 150 degrees? Could the heater be on and since it is not heating a medium it is over working and just heating the air around it? If yes, how does the vp44 not run if the fuel temp is not even tied into the system im running if im bypassing the stock location? I suppose the temp sensor could send a signal to the vp44 but not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The fuel heater is a standalone feature of the filter unit, all the truck supplies to it is 12VDC. Fuel temp reading has to come from the VP, I'm not positive on this, but it's the only place I know of it would. Remove all the stock parts, you gain tons of room when you do.

Your fuel temp comes from the forward gallery of the VP44 where the tone ring is. Reasons for heated fuel:
1. Lift Pump causes friction, which causes heat. Same for VP44.
2. Any fuel going to the injectors that doesn't actually get injected, returns through a gallery to the back of the cylinder head, through a 10MM banjo & to the return "T"& then back to the tank.

As for your truck not starting in the summer, that would be a heat soak issue with the computer. The computers are built with lead free solder, due to EPA regs. It really does not handle the heat well.

You will eventually need a rebuilt VP44. Or you can try the swap out the computer for $300, but they have about a 1 in 5 failure rate.

There will be something soon to assist you in the future with this issue, but you will need to replace your VP, sadly. Deisel Auto Power has a pricier pump that you CAN tap & keep the warranty. For what you do with your truck, just replace it.

Ed

Thank you both for the information!

Ed, I have replaced the vp twice before. Im trying to stay on top of all the necessities to properly supply fuel(****ty airdog) and keep the fuel temp down.

Back