2nd gen brakes on aam's

2Tone12V

I'm putting AAM's under the race truck for next year (2nd gen). Whats all needed to get my wheels and slicks to fit? 16" rims and 14" wide tires. I assume 2nd gen calipers and rotors? They are direct fit?

It's the caliper bracket that you also need to change. What year of diffs are under your truck currently? I believe 2001-2002 2nd gen's have the right caliper bracket to bolt onto the AAM knuckle. I don't know about the rears, have seen a couple 3rd gens with shaved calipers run 16" wheels with stock rear brakes.

I put the brackets, calipers, and rotors from Dana axle onto a 11.5" AAM under my 99 dodge. Works like factory and looks like it too!

I was thinking of this route also anthony... I was told everything is pretty much a direct swap.... Nappa has everything..

Since you can toss 3rd gen rotors on a second gen (2000-2002), with the 3rd gen mounting brackets. I can only assume you can go the other way around. Calipers are damn near identical. Shouldn't have to get new ones.

Benefit being? different ratio gears or what? I don't see strength being the issue.

My truck is a 95. Going to put all ssbc on them. Just wanting to know what all I'm getting in to.
Better gear selection is the reasoning.

Hmm just a quick look at SSBC they did not show any caliper kits for the 2nd gen

Anthony, if you are looking for lightweight & high performance brakes you should be looking at Wilwood... They know drag racing brakes for sure!!!

Anthony, if you are looking for lightweight & high performance brakes you should be looking at Wilwood... They know drag racing brakes for sure!!!

If they have something that will bolt up. I'm all for it. Otherwise XDP carries SSBC and pricing is very good. But if they don't have something that works. I'll need soemthing else.

Antonio looking around it looks like the 3rd gen front caliper would fit on the truck with the 2nd gen bracket. However the caliper size looks like you would still need a 17" wheel to clear.

Why not standard calipers with aggressive pads? I run the EBC's yellow and red.

Have you considered a small pinion brake? It does not take much force on the pinion to hold.

Anthony,
On our super street truck we had which was an 04 we put 2nd gen stuff on the front so we could clear 16" rims all we did was buy brake parts from a 2nd gen at Napa. We machined our rotors down to fit but could have bought rotors that would have worked as well.

SSBC calipers are big but if XDP has them and the price is right then I would take a set home and see how they will fit.

Anthony if you need the rear 2nd gen setup, "I think" I still have mine I pulled off the puller. I'd be glad to send it your way and get it out of the garage, I'll double check tonight.

Back