2nd gen manifold on a 3rd gen ?

Mega Hooker

High Dollar Hooker
My question is what is the best way to do the down pipie when you flip a 2nd gen manifold on a 3rd gen. Is there anyway to still run a 5 inch. I'm getting ready to do this on my truck and have it done before ts so any input or pics would be great.

I am running a 5" on my truck. I took the 5" that was on it and did a lot of cutting and rewelding to make it work.

i have a 2nd gen PDI ceramic coated T-3 for sale. PM me if interested

You could take a 2nd gen HX40 downpipe and weld an HE351 flange on it. When I originally did mine, I had a 2nd gen turbo on it and used an HX40 downpipe.

HX 40 on my truck as well.

Got several pics in gallery below

You could take a 2nd gen HX40 downpipe and weld an HE351 flange on it. When I originally did mine, I had a 2nd gen turbo on it and used an HX40 downpipe.

I did this but used the adapter sold on ebay instead. So the HX40 downpipe clamps to the adapter which clamps to the turbo. No cast elbow needed. Worked great on an 03 with a 2nd gen manifold...

the nice thing about the adapter is that when I change to an aftermarket turbo down the road, I don't have to change the downpipe, just remove the adapter...

or you could change to an aftermarket turbo w/ a 3rd gen flange :)

E.D. is trying to steer people towards 3rd gen turbine flanges if they're not already set up for a 2nd gen. It would be nice if they all used the same flange :eek:

didn't even realize that was an option.

Yes it would be nice if they were all the same...

I have 5" and I just modified my 3rd gen style downpipe. We had to cut it right after the elbow in the pipe and lengthen it by about 8" I believe.

Back