2WD traction

augustus89

So, went to the track tonight, and on the street have no problem doing boosted launches. On the street playing around, I leave at about 17 lbs and around 2200 rpms in 3rd gear. When doing this, I usually have a small amount of spin but then hook and go...So my question to everyone else is HOW CAN I HOOK UP AT THE TRACK?? The track I ran at tonight I dont believe was preped very well so I'll let that go into the math but every other track I get on I spin also. Currently I'm running 305-50-20 Cooper LTZs and they are just not cutting it...Due to horrible wheel hope in the past, I have a set of traction bars on my truck that took all hop out of the truck and seem to help traction on the street, but still bad on the track. Im not opposed to looking into slicks for the back but just wanted some of yall's input. Also, If slicks are mentioned, how much do I need to worry about my stock driveshaft wanting to give way with the grip of slicks....Any help is appriciated...Thanks, Blake

Slicks and driveshaft loops. They make 33x10.5W's for drag cars that could work if you can mount a 16 inch wheel.

Slicks and driveshaft loops. They make 33x10.5W's for drag cars that could work if you can mount a 16 inch wheel.

With my truck being an 07, I can't fit anything smaller than a 17 inch wheel....

what type of tire PSI you running?

thouhgt about launching little softer?

some times the street is a cleaner surface then the track :bang

DOT slick dont need DS loop full slicks require DS loops as per NHRA rules.

have you thouhgt about clamping front and rear side of the springs?

blake, id put a drive shaft loop on it anyways if oyu are gonna be going down the track. mine was cheap and it didnt take long at all. and ive seen 16's on a the back of a 3rd gen with just a little grinding on the calipers

i would try some toyo proxes tires. they get nice n sticky and still have a nice ride. it's not an aggressive tire though like your LTZs though.

if you haven't dropped the pressure already, it would be a good option.

Malibu-I can't remember exaclt what PSI i was running in my tries, but I will check. As for launching softer, my first run last night, I did a 3rd gear boosted launch, but the next race, I tried easing into 2nd gear once the light hit and I still spun HORRIBLE so my last run, i eased out of the clutch in 2nd got it rolling with light throttle, then at about 60 ft, I hit 3rd but as soon as my turbo lit, i was spinning like crazy again...

Scott-I'm planning on building a loop pretty soon..my dad is real good with fabing things like this so it won't put me down much money. As for grinding the rear calipers, I may have to look into that or are there any slicks available with 17" applications?

Well guys, my dad and I had talked about lowering my tire pressure before I went to the race and I thought he had put about 30 lbs in them but after just going and checking, I came to find out that I was running 50 psi in them :doh: so I guess I can let that contribute to my problem....

M&H makes 17" slicks.

when i was running 48 psi in my tires i had a 2.7 60'. i put it down to 30... and broke my yoke. so yea the pressure makes a difference lol.

Well, with 50 psi I was able to pull off a 3.528 60' time lol What are my weak points as far as driveshaft yolks and such? Lol what i'm trying to ask is how far can I push It before it snaps?

M&H makes some 390/45/17 (or something like that) drag radials that work good on our trucks. Mr. Greg Hogue himself ran them on drag week and cut some 1.6 or 1.7 60 ft times. A lot better than 3.5! Also, sometimes the track surface on the dragstrip will be ok for slicks, but regular radials will spin bad. That's why I suggested a true slick.

Well guys, my dad and I had talked about lowering my tire pressure before I went to the race and I thought he had put about 30 lbs in them but after just going and checking, I came to find out that I was running 50 psi in them :doh: so I guess I can let that contribute to my problem....
here is somethign i do.
i found out what my rear weighs on race days (~2900lb) or 1800 a corner. then i adjust the rear tires
3195@ 50psi is the rating on mine
1800lb is 58% of the tire capcity
58% of 50psi is 28psi

so i started at 28 psi and worked from there.. i have found mine like 24-25psi in the rears.

IMO make for a great starting point

blake, all i do is air down to 30psi. When i launch i bring my revs up to about 1000 rpms. Then when its time to go i moderately get on it just enough to keep it from spinning, then floor it around 25 mph. My best 60ft to date, although not that good is better than yours at 2.3** something. Maybe try less rpms launching or something? Slicks do help too. Ask Heath, he has a set of M/H slicks for his. He hooks up real nice.

Ha yeah, I was figuring so...but hey, when your spinning 2-4th gear, its hard to launch lol

A stock truck can 60' in the 2.6 range all day long. Sounds like you, the driver, need to practice launching and getting a better feel for how much pedal it takes for a clean launch.

A stock truck can 60' in the 2.6 range all day long. Sounds like you, the driver, need to practice launching and getting a better feel for how much pedal it takes for a clean launch.

Ha, so don't know if that comment was made in a smart azz way or what so I'll just take it as you trying to help right now....The Driver, ME, has tried EVERY way there is to launch my truck. How much pedal it takes for a clean launch?? There is NO "launching" to my truck without it spinning...I let out the clutch and tried to baby along 2nd gear for a bit then hit third, but all it does is spin in any of my lower gears. I'm asking in this thread how to make it to where I can "launch" my truck and not have to 3.5 sec 60 ft it all the time...Such as slicks, different tires, suspension modifications.

i also run a 2wd, and have traction issues, the last time i was at the track about 3 weeks ago, i went for a test and tune to practice launching. i run 285 75 16 dueler at, dropped tire pressure to 25 lbs. first run i snapped the yoke coming off the clutch. I now have driveshaft loops after the fun bouncing the driveshaft off the track real hard, but havent made it back out to the track yet.

Yeah, loops are in my near future...probably fab them up tomorrow to get powder coated next week...

Keep the ideas coming guys, any personal experiences on certian slicks that work well and how wide of a wheel will i need to find to run the slicks? im sure it will differ with the width of the slick, but how will I find this out?

Back