3.0 billet wheel and cover on S483?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Since I am not having any luck in moving my S483, I am thinking the better option here may be to sell the wheel and cover, and get a protrusion 3.0 legal billet wheel and cover for it to at least get me up and running later this year.

No debate needed here about the 480 being a childs toy in a 3.0 class, i am well aware of that. But, they are fairly cheap, and hard to break from what I have seen so it will be a good way to get my truck running again and work the bugs out before spending a bunch of money on a more competitive charger.

My question is, can a 80mm wheel be put on a charger that is currently an 83mm or are the wheels different enough that the back plate has been machined to fit the 83?

I have an 80cast wheel that is clipped to 3.0 and bushing for an 80 cover.
I would sell cheap. :)

Isn't the exducer of the 83mm wheel quite a bit larger than the 110mm exducer on an 80mm wheel?

I guess it depends on if it is a borg warner 82mm or bullesye wheel?

Bullseye 83mm
inducer is 83.24mm
exducer is 119mm

Borg warner 82mm
inducer is 82.2mm
exducer is 109.7mm

Last edited:
What is keeping you from making the 83 wheel into a 3.0 class charger?

I am told by multiple sources the 83 wheel does not like high PR, and is much better as a low pressure charger in twins.

I have an 80cast wheel that is clipped to 3.0 and bushing for an 80 cover.
I would sell cheap. :)

I would prefer billet.

Isn't the exducer of the 83mm wheel quite a bit larger than the 110mm exducer on an 80mm wheel?

I guess it depends on if it is a borg warner 82mm or bullesye wheel?

Bullseye 83mm
inducer is 83.24mm
exducer is 119mm

Borg warner 82mm
inducer is 82.2mm
exducer is 109.7mm

I will measure it tonight, it came from ED, but I do not know who made the wheel.

I have went down on comp wheel sizes before with no ill effects 64 to 62 and so on

Back