3-53 Detroit Deisel

the injector makes its own pressure, when its compressed, their fuel rail is fed by 1 sometimes 2 small gear driven fuel pumps.. they just provide the rail with pressure ..its the injectors that make th einjection pressure etc..
Thanks,
Deo

the injector makes its own pressure, when its compressed, their fuel rail is fed by 1 sometimes 2 small gear driven fuel pumps.. they just provide the rail with pressure ..its the injectors that make th einjection pressure etc..
Thanks,
Deo

Yep...basically a mechanical common rail!!

Chris

I have a straight piped 353 on my Tree farmer log skidder. Great little engine.

Yep...basically a mechanical common rail!!

Chris

Sort of maybe, the "rail" is low pressure. They use what is called a unit injector. Each injector has its own barrel & plunger that is driven off a lobe on the camshaft. The barrel & plunger is the port helix variety so each injector has its own rack that controls the quantity of fuel injected. Basically the injector is its own one cylinder inline injection pump combined with an injector tip.

Sort of maybe, the "rail" is low pressure. They use what is called a unit injector. Each injector has its own barrel & plunger that is driven off a lobe on the camshaft. The barrel & plunger is the port helix variety so each injector has its own rack that controls the quantity of fuel injected. Basically the injector is its own one cylinder inline injection pump combined with an injector tip.

Yeah, I know....I guess I should have said "here's the over simplified version...mechanical CR;)"

I know how the 2 strokes work....but good explanation to make up for my bad one!!
Chris

Basically the injector is its own one cylinder inline injection pump combined with an injector tip.

Except that the governor is external. A problem with old-models was that if one injector "rack" seized or something wedged the control levers, there would be nothing to limit the engine's RPM until its internals became external!

Except that the governor is external. A problem with old-models was that if one injector "rack" seized or something wedged the control levers, there would be nothing to limit the engine's RPM until its internals became external!

LOL i used to run a hydroaxe 411 with a 453 detroit and ive had it sucking motor oil out of the oilpan on more than one occasion. theres a reason they put the emergency air shut off on them things!!! it aint pretty when one decides to "run away" on you.

theres a reason they put the emergency air shut off on them things!

It took them a few decades to figure that one out though! A fleet I worked for had a 73 Ford L9000 with an 8V71T that didn't have any emergency shutdown device.

It took them a few decades to figure that one out though! A fleet I worked for had a 73 Ford L9000 with an 8V71T that didn't have any emergency shutdown device.

thats when you learn how to open the air cleaner cover quickly and stuff a spare shirt in there. lol

Back