3.54s from 99 d70 into 97 d70???

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
I found some gears potentially. They would be coming out of a 99 2500 cummins ram with an open diff. I plan to swap my 4.10s for them and I have the factory posi in my d70. The gears should be a direct swap or will I need any spacers etc. for any differences between my posi and the 99's open diff? Thanks.

Should swap just fine. Did that with my 94 axles but I went from 3.55's to 4.10's

Is there any reason I can't swap 3.54s in the rear and drive the truck keeping it out of 4wd with the 4.10s in the front temporarily? I'm pretty sure the front drive shaft still turns especially with my locker (lock rite) in the front which is why I ask. My gut says its ok but figured i'd get some reassurance from you all. Thanks.

Ok. Seems that would be the case just would hate to find differently after actually doing the swap.

If I were you, I'd pull my front driveshaft just to make sure you don't forget or someone (like the wife) puts it into 4WD one day. That's just my $.02 though.

I'm a bit confused now. Some saying a spacer is needed between carrier and ring gear to swap gears. Some say differently? Who has swapped gears and what did you need when you did? Thanks.

Don't need a spacer. 4.10's and numerically lower gears take the same carrier.

Back