30x10.50-15 on an 8" wide wheel?

Hurley

BLAKLUNG
I've been looking at more conservative slick sizes to run on my truck without modifying my axle & brakes. Right now I'm considering the Hoosier 30x10.50-15 (#18205, D05 compound, 8-10" recommended wheel width, 13.1" section width), mounted on a 15x8" wheel with 4" of BS to fit on my drum brake equipped D70.

Has anyone got advice for running a narrower wheel in the recommended range of a given slick? I feel like an 8" wheel would tuck the best, and as of right now I'm limited to a 31" max tire height based on the ride height of my truck.

This pretty much sums up my tire issue on the stock width axle, these are 31" tall:

14407_433692913356733_767704793_n.jpg

any taller and the tires will hit the fender lip before I'm at full bump.

It says it's recommended for a 8-10" wheel. You're getting a 8" wheel.

Or am I lost?

Sent via USPS 2 weeks ago

well, right. I'm asking are there any adverse effects - usually the 'measured' wheel width is the widest one in the range as listed on the manufacturing websites.

I'm just thinking about 'ballooning' etc. relative to the tires...as I know not much on drag racing tars.

I just mounted some 33x10.5x15 slicks on my truck with 15x8 wheels. They balloon some but looks like they will be fine. Im going to run it this weekend and see how they work out. I bought some U.S. wheels from summit with -13mm bs, they only stick out about an inch or so but looks good and i didnt have to grind the drums. I would post a pic but not sure how, if you want pm me your number and ill text them to you.

The problem with running that skinny of a wheel is it gives no support to the sidewall of the tire and as heavy as these trucks are we need the stiffest side wall we can get. I ran the MT 31/13-15 on my truck with a 10" wheel and was killing the tire. I switched to a 14" wide wheel and my 60ft are much better and it doesn't look like the wheel is hitting the track anymore on take off.

The problem with running that skinny of a wheel is it gives no support to the sidewall of the tire and as heavy as these trucks are we need the stiffest side wall we can get. I ran the MT 31/13-15 on my truck with a 10" wheel and was killing the tire. I switched to a 14" wide wheel and my 60ft are much better and it doesn't look like the wheel is hitting the track anymore on take off.

That tire's recommended for a 12"-14" wheel, so you statement I do agree with.

Back