3406B How to set pump..

HillbillyKK

I've a 88 B model that I just wound up getting suckered into acquiring.. The truck is a rough old truck and needs some attention.. The motor has 287000 on a cat overhaul. As far as I can tell everything is stock. I have never worked on one of these myself. The last time I had a B model, Cat done all my work.. With the current economy and the current prices that dealerships charge, I'm kinda stuck with doing it myself. The pump was leaking buckets when I got the truck. I took it off & a friend of mine took to someone to rebuild. I put it back on but I now only get 12 lbs of boost. It's been a while, but I read a post "How to time a pump for dummies". Does anyone here know where there's a How To, to set this pump? I would appreciate any help with this.. It's gonna have to explain in real simple terms because this will be my 1st attempt at timing a pump...

Those pumps are very hard to time, it should be left to someone with experience, if you do it wrong you can damage the timing advance.

Those pumps are very hard to time, it should be left to someone with experience, if you do it wrong you can damage the timing advance.

Just align the holes with drillbit or similar and there you have factory timing. Not hard but factory timing is not best for performance.

Pin the pump, pin the flywheel, make sure the advance is collapsed and lock it down, field timing in a nut shell.

If you want it meter timed that requires a dealer that still has the tools and someone that knows how to use them.

Thanks Nootch that's a big help. Once I get it timed back to factory steps, to turn the pump up: Once I bring it to TDC & pin the pump, Do I remove the timing advance to adjust the timing or do I leave it on?

Bolts can be loosened, once timing is set replace them one at a time. Seemed to cut down on slipped timing

Back