3406E exhaust manifold and turbo question

Powerstroke Cowboy

Boost is energy held back
Howdy,

It's been a long time since I have posted here. So If I am in the wrong sub forum I apologize.

The engine is a 2ws with 57 injectors. The computer has been flashed with the 600hp C16 file with 5233 put as the trim codes. So I am thinking that enough fuel for 625 to 650 hp at the crank.

How well in you opinion is the steed speed exhaust manifold? Am I correct in assuming it's good because steed speed makes it?

How would it compare to the fulltilt/bullydog or the PDI manifold?

The current turbo is a OR7923 it hits about 28 psi max with the wastegate disabled. Egts go over 1000 and slowly keep climbing on a pull. The low end torque and responsiveness of the factory turbo does not want to be lost. What would you suggest?

Looking at the OR7924 thinking it might be slowe to light down low.

The next is the borg warner 14969880000. Will this one overspend with the fuel setting current with the 600hp file and 5232 trim codes? I feel this turbo will still have good bottom end. But would the exhaust housing be to tight and cause it to over speed on the top end?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Howdy,

It's been a long time since I have posted here. So If I am in the wrong sub forum I apologize.

The engine is a 2ws with 57 injectors. The computer has been flashed with the 600hp C16 file with 5233 put as the trim codes. So I am thinking that enough fuel for 625 to 650 hp at the crank.

How well in you opinion is the steed speed exhaust manifold? Am I correct in assuming it's good because steed speed makes it?

How would it compare to the fulltilt/bullydog or the PDI manifold?

The current turbo is a OR7923 it hits about 28 psi max with the wastegate disabled. Egts go over 1000 and slowly keep climbing on a pull. The low end torque and responsiveness of the factory turbo does not want to be lost. What would you suggest?

Looking at the OR7924 thinking it might be slowe to light down low.

The next is the borg warner 14969880000. Will this one overspend with the fuel setting current with the 600hp file and 5232 trim codes? I feel this turbo will still have good bottom end. But would the exhaust housing be to tight and cause it to over speed on the top end?

Thanks for the help in advance!
If you're maxing out at 28psi. with the wastegate shut on that part number turbo, you don't need(or want) a bigger turbo. The only thing you'll gain is lag.

If you're maxing out at 28psi. with the wastegate shut on that part number turbo, you don't need(or want) a bigger turbo. The only thing you'll gain is lag.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I would think. I have read that by putting the 14969880000 guys have gained low and torque and ten pounds of boost over the OR7923 turbo. The OR7923 has a 1.42 A/R turbine housing and the 14969880000 has a 1.32 A/R housing. I do not know what the turbine wheels are though. The OR7923 I believe is a 75mm inducer comp wheel and the 14969880000 is a 78mm inducer comp wheel. They also say the 14969880000 makes the jake work better. Must be the smaller turbine housing.

0000 is the standard upgrade, you don’t have near enough fuel to overspeed it with the 1.32. However add a cam and tune and you will want the 1.58. As far as manifolds the PDI is my preferred because it uses slip joints with seals, Full Tilt is press fit like OEM and is also good. Steed is one piece and seems like a stud breaker like a 12v since it can’t grow independently with with heat. If anyone claims it flows more and makes more power with barely over stock fueling they are used car salesman. Higher flow usually means more lag because of lost velocity. Ask anyone that’s tried the B model log manifold on an E.

Last edited:
The OR7923 is a GT4702, the turbine is 84/93mm vs 88/96mm for the Borg Warner S410, however the GT47 turbine is pretty lackluster as is the compressor.

0000 is the standard upgrade, you don’t have near enough fuel to overspeed it with the 1.32. However add a cam and tune and you will want the 1.58. As far as manifolds the PDI is my preferred because it uses slip joints with seals, Full Tilt is press fit like OEM and is also good. Steed is one piece and seems like a stud breaker like a 12v since it can’t grow independently with with heat. If anyone claims it flows more and makes more power with barely over stock fueling they are used car salesman. Higher flow usually means more lag because of lost velocity. Ask anyone that’s tried the B model log manifold on an E.

Thanks for the information on the manifolds. I can see how the steed speed could cause studs to break. Just thought maybe not since it's not cast. Less expansion then cast. Maybe I am looking at it right.

Do you think with the 600 file along with 5232 trim codes the 14969880000 turbo would light fine down low?

The OR7923 is a GT4702, the turbine is 84/93mm vs 88/96mm for the Borg Warner S410, however the GT47 turbine is pretty lackluster as is the compressor.

Thanks for this information.
When you say they are lackluster. Do you mean as in nothing special?

In your thoughts. Which turbo should by spec light faster/spool easier, the OR7923 or the S410 14969880000?

Thanks for the information on the manifolds. I can see how the steed speed could cause studs to break. Just thought maybe not since it's not cast. Less expansion then cast. Maybe I am looking at it right.

Do you think with the 600 file along with 5232 trim codes the 14969880000 turbo would light fine down low?

Yea they are a good OEM replacement out of the box.

I have no first hand experience with the steed manifold but when asked about it online his only reply was “you won’t break this manifold”. Never addressed the stud breaking concerns. No one else uses one piece so......

Yea they are a good OEM replacement out of the box.

I have no first hand experience with the steed manifold but when asked about it online his only reply was “you won’t break this manifold”. Never addressed the stud breaking concerns. No one else uses one piece so......

I hear you on the manifold. Might call a shop that sells both the full tilt and steed speed and see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

Anyone ever done the math on the coefficient of expansion to know how much travel they actually have to allow?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I think Steed has elongated holes at the outer cylinders to allow movement. And it makes more power because it is smaller inside. PDI and Fulltilt made a mistake making them bigger inside.

I think Steed has elongated holes at the outer cylinders to allow movement. And it makes more power because it is smaller inside. PDI and Fulltilt made a mistake making them bigger inside.

They all have oversized holes for this purpose. Are you making your HP claims based on your Euro dyno comparison? They have all been flowed on a bench and the higher flowing one is good for competition but hurts a working truck. And besides if you need a new manifold any would be a fine upgrade but if you are only buying one for the "added HP" there are better places to spend your money.

The price on any of the aftermarket performance oriented manofoldd are expensive. The steed speed is the lowest of the three. The truck in question here is not mine. It's my brothers. He just bought it and the gasket between the turbine housing and manifold blow out. So he put a new cat gasket back in and it still leaked. Come to fing out both the manifold flange and turbine housing were warped pretty bad, and have heat cracks that are not all the way through yet. So I took and belt sanded both the manifold and turbine housing flat and it now is sealing like it should. When we had the turbo off I got to looking and somebody must have got gravel or something in the intake because the fins on the compressor wheel are messed up and theres dings all over in the inlet of the compressor housing.

So long story short he is looking to replace the manifold and turbo. And wants to upgrade as he does it.

He wants a performance manifold to help with EGTs.

For the sake of money. Would he get more bang for his buck by going with a stock manifold and the 14969880000 turbo? Or should he do both.

Thanks.

Last edited:

If that was the case then the stock manifold would make the most power up to a certain power level, but it doesn’t.

Isn't the 177148 the same spec as a 7923? If it was me I'd get a stock manifold and put the "stage 1" on it if its making the power it should. I was getting 35-36 psi boost with a stock 550 turbo on a 2ws with just hot trim codes so I think you have some more issues. Have you done a boost leak check?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cowboys4Christ; said:
When we had the turbo off I got to looking and somebody must have got gravel or something in the intake because the fins on the compressor wheel are messed up and theres dings all over in the inlet of the compressor housing.
I guarantee you it came from a previous turbo failure. People don’t like to fully disassemble the tubes/elbows and replace the air filter(s) which is what it takes to get rid of all the debris. Those pieces like to travel when a turbo unwraps!

Back