35/40 Turbo

scottsjeeprolet

Well this is starting to tick me off.
I bought a HX35 60mm compressor housing and it doesn't have the bracket for the waste gate. I also bought a HX35. The housings are the same just different machining.
Has anyone machined their own housing and do you have a drawing or specs. The 60mm housing is 61.25mm on the inlet but the inside has a radius. What are the clearances between the compressor and the housing?
I'm about ready to give up on trying to do this!:bang

The older turbos had the wastegate mounted to the exhaust housing. Are the holes for it there?

If it were me, I would either get the older housing and actuator or make a bracket and tig it on the housing you have.

Here's the pics.
Old on left, new 60mm on right
DSC00041.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

It even has a different mount on the housing. the old one uses the big retaining ring and has the groove. the new one isn't even close.:bang

You have a cover for an h1e, not an HX series turbo. That's not going to work (obviously)...

In that case, I'd be looking into machining your stock cover.

I thought the early HX35's had vbands holding the compressor housing on.

I thought the early HX35's had vbands holding the compressor housing on.

They could have been, but as far as I know the change occurred when they went from the h1c/e named turbos to the HX series ones.

That's the only real difference that I am aware of between the two turbos, as all the other specs I can find on the holsets indicate that the rest of the stuff is the same. Take that for what it is worth.

I am not for sure, I was thinking that I had an HX35 that had a vband, but I have slept since then.

WH1C was the V-Band and found on the 1st genners and early 94's before they went to the HX35 later in 1994.

Did you get the compressor wheel with the compressor housing?

It's confirmed, you have a H1C/WH1C compressor housing, which isn't compatible with the HX center section.

You'd need an H1C center section that has the backing plate machined to accept the 60mm wheel.

The stumper here is which 60mm wheel that cover is machined for, there are two wheels, a 6 blade and I believe an 8 (might be 7 though).

Get ur money back or sell it...

So anyone know what needs to be machined other than opening the inlet. Do i need to redo the radius to the same contour of the impeller?
I am going to sell the wrong cover, just gonna keep it for a few days for reference. PM me if interested, just wanna get what i bought it for + shipping.

So I'm gonna have to machine this housing myself after getting blown off by HTT.:bang
Has anyone machined their own 35 housing?
My compressor wheel is 6 blade 60mm X 86mm.
If you have a drawing or dimensions that would be great or even someone else who could machine the housing for me.

If you want to get rid of the housing and wheel let me know... I'm not sure where kingsville is but your welcome to come down to Davidsonville and pick through my parts pile if you want a trade...

I have a 35/40 center section so no wheel to get rid of.
I need to machine my 35 cover to fit the wheel.
I do have the H1C/WH1C compressor housing i will be selling, but i need it to measure so i can machine my 35.

ok... with no wheel its not much good to me. Unless I can order just a wheel cheaper than I can get the whole deal from GDS.

I like the six blade wheels, I'm not sure how they flow compared to the other ones, but I know they sound wicked!

The 6 blade wheels flow the most and are definitely the loudest!

Your 60mm compressor cover does not have a map width enhancement groove. Interesting that they didn't machine or cast one of those into the cover.

I have a 60mm compressor housing I've been thinking about selling. It's definately for the HX35's. PM me an offer.

-Dustin-

Back