363 SXE testing!

Jim Fulmer

If your brave enough to follow me on facebook then you know I recently changed turbo's to a 63/68 SXE. I've been wanting to do this for a while, finally go pushed into it due to failure or potential blowing a turbo up.

Don't know where to go with the testing other than to tell you I'm so impressed with it that I'm almost speechless. Having said that I'm not just tooting for anyone, I bought the turbo, it wasn't given, sponsored or other, I'll probably never do that again. Also I will not knock another product, I don't roll like that!

The truck in question is an 01' SB/QC 4x4 4:10 gear, 305/70/16's and it's 12V converted. 215 pump set at 400cc's on Columbus Diesel's bench a long time ago, like 2008. Supply is an Airdog 200, injectors are 5x18's with a good bit of lift cut, 181 dv's and stock lines.

Cruise at 2000 rpm is around 550 degrees at a few pounds of boost, hit a slight grade and it will go up to 7-8 and 600 degrees. Cruising at 2K at those temps you can stab it and it will hit the gate at 48 psi by the time it hits 800 degrees. Light throttle stuff around town is just flat effortless, so dang driveable it's crazy. The plan is to drop down to some kinda crappy old 5x14's I have and see that happens, also I have really good records on fuel mileage with both set's of injectors.

Thanks to my bud T-Money (Taylor Manning) for both the injectors and Turbo!

Jim

What was the last turbo?

I'm really not happy with my towing temps lately, your low temps make me very intrigued!

I have a 64SXE with a non gated .70AR on a customers truck and if i was wanting to tow i wouldnt go above a 62 on a 12v. It has 5x.012s and all the supporting mods. Maybe its just his huge tires and tall gears tho.

I have the 63/68/.8 on my 12v in my ford. 245/75 tires, 4:10's, 5x.012, 215 pump with 181's and I cruise around 800-1000 and while towing it rarely falls below 1100. Not too happy but I've been chasing this egt issue for some time.
That being said I am running an industrial manifold that I suspect is causing part of my issues. I ordered a steed speed that should be here this week that hopefully helps.
I also just got a benched pump back from Seth that's set to 250cc so we'll have to see what that does for it.

I have the 63/68/.8 on my 12v in my ford. 245/75 tires, 4:10's, 5x.012, 215 pump with 181's and I cruise around 800-1000 and while towing it rarely falls below 1100. Not too happy but I've been chasing this egt issue for some time.
That being said I am running an industrial manifold that I suspect is causing part of my issues. I ordered a steed speed that should be here this week that hopefully helps.
I also just got a benched pump back from Seth that's set to 250cc so we'll have to see what that does for it.

That's about the same for me and I'm on a T4 PDI. Port matching helped a little. I think the charger is the issue though. I also have 3.54 gears and 37's so I know that doesn't help... I need to get rid of the 37's at some point...

Housing is the .80 gated with an HX-40 outlet.

Last turbo was a Silver 66 with a Billet Wheel.

The issue I believe is in the oil, some of us were discussing it why the bearing wore out so fast as it has a new center section.

I really wanted to run something bigger, but decided to stick with this size. T-Money would love me to stick a 480 below it, I just have too many irons in the fire right now.

Jim

That's about the same for me and I'm on a T4 PDI. Port matching helped a little. I think the charger is the issue though. I also have 3.54 gears and 37's so I know that doesn't help... I need to get rid of the 37's at some point...

This isn't good news for me. Hopefully my steed makes a difference. I've wanted to swap to 3.73's but that will just make my problems worse.

I ran a 63/68 sxe with a .80 non WG housing. It ran hot too. Cruising on the highway up and down hills was anywhere from 800-1150*. That was with 7x.011 injectors in a VP truck, TS MVP and a TST Comp, and 33's. Tried turning the tuning down or off- no difference.

It was a fun turbo and lit fairly quick but driving it around I had to be light on the throttle or it would smoke heavily and get hot.

People worry about EGT on this site?

I don't like sustained 1100-1200F when i'm pulling a trailer. Typically I have to bump it down to 3rd to keep it in the 800-900F range. I honestly haven't noticed a change in fuel consumption doing that, but it's so damn noisy sitting up in the RPMs.

i do when it gets over 2000

Yeah, I typically let off at ~1900F when I'm doing fun stuff. The coolant gauge starts to rise pretty quick!

Speaking of coolant temp, how much do most of you see your temp go up and a 1/4 mile boogie.

Speaking of coolant temp, how much do most of you see your temp go up and a 1/4 mile boogie.

It goes up, but it doesn't come close to the top mark on the dash.

Well, there was that time I forgot I had the AC on... Some runs I just don't know where my head is at...

I had a 64 sxe on my truck and it lit quick. Only got to drive around 10 miles on it before it gave up on me. From what I drove it though it is a good turbo and I would tow with it on my 98 12v

Although I wasn't towing it's still funny how accelerating at 850 degrees it's at 30 psi.

Jim

Back