366 or 363

inline6359

Microwaving cats since 01
Nothing elaborate but i have to make a decision soon as my he431ve direction just isnt gonna work for me. Im looking at either a s363 or 366. I tend to lean toward the 363 as this is going to be a daily driver and im done playing for now. Both have t4 flanges. Here is where im debating. Either buy a t4 manifold and run a t4 manifold with the 363 or the stock 24v t3 with a turbine diverter to help spool/adapt to the 66.

better to underwork a 66 with a spool valve than to possible overwork a 63 :)

completely disagree... no amount of spool valve, VGT, VNT, etc. will overcome the shortcomings of a large compressor wheel.

A daily driven vehicle will always be more enjoyable overall with "too small" of a turbo vs. "too large"

my .02

Right now it will have a quadzilla flip chip and a hypertech stacked only because thays what I have lying around. Once all my bugs are worked out I will be going with a drag comp.

I have to agree with forrest on this, nothing worse than a laggy smokey start every time.

Agreed which is why im torn. The 363 should be good but with a larger t4 manifold and using a factory t3 with diverter and the 366 I was thinking spool up should be around the same.

again... spool valves, VNT, VGT, etc. do not overcome the limitations of the compressor map.

I've had experience with a larger VNT on a Cummins. You can choke the turbine side all you want, it's not going to alleviate low RPM surge. Does it spool better than a big 1.0 open housing? of course... does it work better than a smaller/properly sized turbo? no

not many VP trucks can really make use of a 66 in the first place, but based on what you've posted as far as mods, it's the wrong turbo for your truck IMO

Me personally, I would want something like a 62/65/.80 or maybe 62/68/.80 with a gated T3 on what you've described

Agreed which is why im torn. The 363 should be good but with a larger t4 manifold and using a factory t3 with diverter and the 366 I was thinking spool up should be around the same.

Jeez us, I remember trying a BD diverter valve on the 66/71/80 I ran a couple years ago....what a PITA, and POS.

If it wasn't the line blowing off, leaving you with only one volute on the turbo operational under full throttle, it was the valve itself seizing open, or closed, whichever it decided to do at the time...

Just Keep It Simple Stupid

The new billet 63mm wheels move equal air to a 66mm.
New Ver3 billet 63, 66mm compressor wheels are coming next month from FI.

Last edited:
I put weston's valve on my 66 after swapping to the auto to try to get the sucker to spool, too tight of a converter. The 66 is the same turd it was before except it makes boost at cruise now.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like for now I'llljust run the factory manifold and keep my eye out for a gated t3 turbo.

You are getting good info here for the KISS idea. Staying with the factory t3 manifold and a t3 turbine housing is hard to beat for the money and effort for a DD. If you want some qualitative first hand observations with a spool flange do a search for my spool flange thread in the competition section. Good luck.

63/65/14 Killer B will keep ya happy, and its a good charger for vp trucks.

Negative, the 68 turbine cant even come close to pushing the 63 wheel hard enough, and the 65 turbine would be even worse. Im sure it "runs great on my truck" but its a bad wheel combo.

60/65
60/68
62/68
63/68

Those would be ideal

Nothing elaborate but i have to make a decision soon as my he431ve direction just isnt gonna work for me. Im looking at either a s363 or 366. I tend to lean toward the 363 as this is going to be a daily driver and im done playing for now. Both have t4 flanges. Here is where im debating. Either buy a t4 manifold and run a t4 manifold with the 363 or the stock 24v t3 with a turbine diverter to help spool/adapt to the 66.

63/68/14 t3 gated from T$. You'll thank me later

I'm most satisfied with my S300g. It takes full advantage to the VP pumps fuel and timing curve. I know it's tiny compared to others but on the street it is the best performing simply because of its size. They can make good power (for a VP truck) too.

Until I see how I like the truck and if im going to keep it im probably gonna slap a he351cw on it for now. Then if this fummins conversion that has me so frustrated right now wins me over ill be looking to upgrade drastically.

Negative, the 68 turbine cant even come close to pushing the 63 wheel hard enough, and the 65 turbine would be even worse. Im sure it "runs great on my truck" but its a bad wheel combo.

60/65
60/68
62/68
63/68

Those would be ideal

:umno:

Back