3rd Gen Dual Brake Caliper Project

adamsmarshall

Drilling Crooked Holes
I wanted to start this thread to gauge interest in a potential project I'm working on with a professional drag racing brake company and was looking to see if anyone else might be interested in going this route to determine if this project would be more of a one off potential or more of a marketable endeavor.

I've recent spoken to a company about the possibility of designing a rear dual caliper with slotted rotor and front single caliper with slotted rotor to fit on the AAM 11.5 and AAM 9.25 axles specific for drag racing in that they would be non-ABS and would be rated for up to 5500 lbs and allow the use of 16" wheels due to availability of tire choices.

This would be strictly non-ABS application and therefore would not be your average street brake system unless someone were to seriously lighten their truck and decide to do away with their factory ABS. Potential quoted prices are as to be as expected for something such as this and therefore would be far from the cheap side but would allow for a true performance brake option for our trucks.

We'd be looking at a potential $2400 for the rear minimum and $2000 for the front minimum

If any of you might have any interest in making this a reality please let me know as I will continue to talk with this company about this project and POSSIBLY make it a reality since I know I'm not the only one here that would rather not have to use factory 2nd gen brakes on a drag truck.

Sounds like a great platform but for the cost I think a trans or pinion brake would be a better option. With today's tuning and converter builders it doesn't seem like anyone needs more braking.

The only track anyone runs that doesn't have enough shut down area is Crossroads at Scheid and it is only the low 5 sec guys having problems.

I hope it comes together and can be had for a lower dollar amount. Good Luck!

Hmm, that's an interesting idea so you can fit small wheels, but the prices sound expensive. You should hit up Adam from Adam's Rotors (small-ish business where he makes custom rotors).
Then I would try and find an OEM caliper that would work. If you want a fixed caliper (needing a floating rotor but better for heat dissipation and initial bite), start looking at older VW SUVs and Audi cars. You can find suppliers for that older stuff and get great prices on them compared to 2015 model calipers.

I think your hardest part would be building a rigid bracket to hold the calipers that isn't going to weigh a ton.

I can't see investing that kind of money in our front or rear axles. In a drag setup $2500 is half way or better to a nice fabricated 9" where you could really save some weight and have the added benefit of better gear ratio selection. I like what you're doing, it's just the price that makes it a tough deal.

Back