3rd gen sound upgrade.

SPEEDSHIFT

I have been wanting to redo my sound system in my 04 for a while now, and have been gathering parts slowly over the last couple years. I need the space under my rear seat so I am going to build a center console that goes from the dash to the back of the center console. I still need to fit three car seats in the back seat, so this thing has to be kid poof.

I have a 6 channel JL Audio 600w amp and a JL Audio G1700 700w mono. I have also Ram Matted the cab from the windows down. My HU is an old school Alpine flip out screen, that I want to replace with a new Pioneer double din.

I do have a question though...

I am between a RE Audio SXX10 or JL Audio 10W6 also what would be the best OHM setup?

I plan on running component sets in the doors and 4" in the dash all on the 6ch amp.

JL builds good products. Their subs like small enclosures too. You will probably get better sound quality with just the components in the doors, running the 4-inchers in the dash will confuse the imaging and that size speaker doesn't generally have good power handling or audio quality characteristics so I would leave them out.

As far as the Ohm load for the amp, it is likely capable of running 2 ohm loads so wiring the dual 4-ohm voice coils of a 10W6v3 in parallel will give you a 2 ohm load. Then enjoy!

I am going to run the C2 series of JL door speakers, so they are the lower line, but I think they will do just fine for my application.

As far as running the 4"s in the dash, My 05 has just components in all four doors and my factory Infinity system sounds better to me. Mainly because of the dash speakers. I know they wont handle much, so I plan on lowering the gain for them and tuning them with the EQ on the amp as well.

These are the amps I have.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ybReLyDZxNL/p_136G6600/JL-Audio-G-Series-G6600.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cf9IvvKvcTD/p_136G1700/JL-Audio-G-Series-G1700.html

The sub amp will be fine at 2 ohm so if you are going to run a single sub a dual voice coil with 4 ohm coils is what you want.

The C2s are pretty good, the guys at JL do a pretty good job on SQ even in their budget stuff. A sub will make everything sound better. As far as the 4-inchers are concerned, try it without and see if you like it, that will save you time and money if you do, and if you want more height on the sound stage you can add something in the dash later. Also try reversing the polarity on the tweeters in the doors it is free and in some cases will improve SQ by correcting the phasing of the system and how it reaches your ears.

Personally I would look at other sub options as well.

As far as kid proofing it....downfiring is pretty child proof.

I have been wanting to redo my sound system in my 04 for a while now, and have been gathering parts slowly over the last couple years. I need the space under my rear seat so I am going to build a center console that goes from the dash to the back of the center console. I still need to fit three car seats in the back seat, so this thing has to be kid poof.

I have a 6 channel JL Audio 600w amp and a JL Audio G1700 700w mono. I have also Ram Matted the cab from the windows down. My HU is an old school Alpine flip out screen, that I want to replace with a new Pioneer double din.

I do have a question though...

I am between a RE Audio SXX10 or JL Audio 10W6 also what would be the best OHM setup?

I plan on running component sets in the doors and 4" in the dash all on the 6ch amp.

Not going to benefit this thread any. But please post pics of the console.

Ryan

I think I have decided on which receiver I want to replace my old Alpine with, Pioneer AVH-4500BT. I am kinda debating the 5500 but the only difference is HD Radio. I have zero experience with HD Radio so I don't know if id really use it. Any experience with it? Is it worth $50?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_63978_Pioneer-AVH-X4500BT.html

I will probably do the head unit first, then wire up the amp to the factory speakers, then add the sub, and do the components last.

I am debating using a W3 or RE Audio SeX10 now instead of the W6 because of cost.

Meh....for subs, look into Sundown, DC, SSA (Sound Solution Audio), Audio Technix...etc. All "underground" manufacturers where you pay for the product, not the name.

Meh....for subs, look into Sundown, DC, SSA (Sound Solution Audio), Audio Technix...etc. All "underground" manufacturers where you pay for the product, not the name.

Nothing wrong with JL, though. I'm running one 10W7 and I love it. I'll probably be running two Sundown 10's next though, as their shallow models are priced really well.

What better about those other subs? Im all about something better for the same or less $$$.

Price vs performance. You will get more for your dollar because you are not paying for the name. JL does/did a lot of R&D and need to recoup costs. Newer companies use similar designs that have been back engineered from the bigger names to get going until they can do their own R&D. Sundown is doing their own now, but are still extremely affordable as they are not mainstream where you pay for the name.

Nothing wrong with JL, though. I'm running one 10W7 and I love it. I'll probably be running two Sundown 10's next though, as their shallow models are priced really well.

No there is nothing wrong with their subs, they are quite nice actually. Good for SQ. Just the price tag from and authorized vendor is sometimes a lil hard to swallow.

No there is nothing wrong with their subs, they are quite nice actually. Good for SQ. Just the price tag from and authorized vendor is sometimes a lil hard to swallow.

Hard to argue with that. The W7 in my truck is great, but it was used when I got it. I could never spend $700 for one new.

Got my radio put in yesterday. I just need to wire in a bypass and paint the bezel around the radio.

This thing awesome though! Considering I haven't bought a head unit in almost 10 years this thing has got all kinds of features. My old Alpine screen is still going, just a bit behind on iPhone/iPod integration which is what I really wanted.

It cracks me up how much crap the old had compared to this new one. Lol

sasubupa.jpg

pynanu8a.jpg

Thanks, I am really liking it. Only problem is now my GF wants one for her truck. :doh:

Back