4 link with air bags

wrongway

I got a catalog in the mail the other day from Air Ride Technology. I was thumbing through the page's, and they have a killer looking 4 link with air bags. How do you think that work on my 97 Dodge?? Look's so good, I may just buy one to look at. Seriously, what's ya'll's thought's about em. Just wondering. Gary

I would feel more comfortable with a Kelderman 4-link. The airlift seemed cheap & flimsy when HorsepowerTV put one on a few years ago.

brnadon.

How prevalent are air ride setups in drag racing? I thought most folks were still using coilover setups?

Tim, I really don't think anyone is using them. That's what makes them attractive to me. I really think they would work, and if the air bag's can't stand the pressure they can be easily swapped for coil-over's. Just thinkin outside the box. :kick:

I don't think that they will let you on the race track with an air bag the only supporting spring on the truck. I don't know the exact rules but on race I was at they would not let a truck down the truck with just the air bags on it.

Malcolm

all the kits i looked into were way to weak for my taste. i will build my own when i get the time. i really want to do the air ride on my 98 shorty.

Bagged trucks run in Houston on the NHRA sanctioned track all the time. Maybe it just depends on who's doing the teching that night.

It will work but I would make two suggestions.

1 coil-overs work much better.
2 if you're planning on putting down big numbers, be sure to weld the brackets to the rear end. Don't rely on clamping using the bolt on kit. I've seen rear ends rotate inside the brackets.

By the way here is a pic that shows how I did my 4 link.

SMDiesel's "LIL 6BT"

~Wes~

Attachments

• SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link005 (Custom).JPG
    SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link005 (Custom).JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 79
  • SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link004 (Custom).JPG
    SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link004 (Custom).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 56
  • SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link006 (Custom).JPG
    SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link006 (Custom).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 49
  • SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link008 (Custom).JPG
    SMDiesel Performance 903 355 4475 LIL6BT 4Link008 (Custom).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 54
Well "old fart" I'm more concerned about smooth ride on the highway and more concerned about traction on the track. ;)

My four link was set-up so that I can bolt in a set of Air Ride Technologies "Shockwaves" and have air ride.

Mike I think you and I had that discussion one before.

:poke:

~Wes~

Hey Crawler., nice 4 link :rockwoot:

What size heim joints (rod ends) do you used in your rear 4 link setup?

And please excplain to me, if americans talk about 3/4 heim joint , is 3/4 size of bearing hole or size of threaded end?

The rod ends (heims) are 3/4" 4130 Chrome Moly.

Brandon, don't be jealous. At least yours is making passes right now. I haven't had time to finish putting mine together.

Right now I have the front suspension back off. I had the suspension done and then changed my mind. We're building new upper and lower control arms from scratch and going to coil-overs up front as well.

This truck sits obscenely low. We had to build a new tranny crossmember because the stock one was so low that you couldn't roll a coke can under it.

Truck has carpet, ac, heat, stereo (not just stock either), 2 corbeau FX2 buckets with 5 points, 14 point chrome moly cage (through the dash). Making a fiberglass dash for it now. I was going to use the stock dash, but it has a huge crack in it and I just cant see spending money to put a stock one back in. Using a removable Grant wheel and Autometer guages (200mph speedo, 6000 rpm tach, oil, fuel (level and pressure both), water, boost, drive pressure, volts, transmission, 2000 degree pyro all for the street driving. Plus a full RPM brand Data Logger for the track and the "home test track".

Painless wiring swithbox/wiring for all vitals (engine,fuel pumps, fan, water pump, nitrous, water/meth, guages). Factory wiring for the accesories and turn signals.

Sorry wasn't try to run away with this. I just ot to typing and didn't stop. :)

~Wes~

Thank You. Hopefully I can bring it out this year. I have two seats and two harnesses. So, anybody who's not too freaked out is welcome to go for a pass or two down the road. :evil

Then if you're still with me we'll make a bozai pass *nx* .

~Wes~

Back