411 on line-x and powder coat

conman3300

well I was wondering what the pros and cons of each one were on line-x and powder coating because my bumpers and stuff are starting to fade and get some rust now and need to do something about it.

Thanks

Totally different stuff, conman. Powder coating is basically thick electrostatically applied then backed on paint. It is generally stronger than most paints but can still chip and such. While line-x, rhino-liner and associated products are a plastic based coating that is thicker and more durable than any paint. If properly prepped in most cases the liner will even hold to the metal after bends and dents...

hope this helps...

yes that does and well if i line-x all my bumpers and stuff will it fade or will it stay a nice black?

and also what could i do for the undercarriage of my truck?

Thanks

I believe they have UV protection included in the mix and it is supposed to retain its color. (It is available in several colors too...)

What are you trying to do to the chassis? Protect it from rust, make it show quality, protect it from scrapes and chips from off roading, etc...

I personally think it would be overkill on the chassis, and you wouldn't want to risk it being sprayed on moving parts like brakes, driveline etc... If you ar simply looking for a clean overall look for the chassis I'd suggest pressure washing it thoroughly to remove ALL contaminates then masking off vital parts and either painting it with chassis black (semi-flat black paint) or rubberized undercoating. This will protect it from rust but can also be easily removed in the future if you want to do any frame mods like installing ladder bars or something like that.

If you are going to show the truck you need to strip it to the bare chassis (remove cab, bed, driveline etc...) and then weld and fill ALL the unneccessary holes and grind them smooth then have it primed and painted to match and finally color sanded and buffed before you carefully reassemble the truck... A lot of work for something that very few will notice and something that will get scratched and chipped if you USE the truck like a diesel should be used!!!

yes I want to help it from rusting.

How does the rubberized stuff work and is it that much better than just the paint?

also I dont want to sound like a moron but what are the important parts to mask off?

Thanks for the quick responses

You can buy spray cans of it at most parts stores. Like I said thoroughly clean and degrease so that it will adhear well. Also be sure to take care of any rust as it will still grow under the undercoating or paint.

Mask off drive shaft, trans, engine, brakes and exhaust system... there might be other things too but I can't think of anything else right now and I need to finish an article so I gotta get back on that...

good luck
CT

i thought that sprayin liners(line-x, rhino lining) where rubber based...i have several buddies that did there bumpers and rockers on there trucks with line_x an love it an line x has a lifetime warranty on fading...

x2 on everything Chris said. One thing, I don't think using the line-x polymers on the plastic of the bumpers will work. Normal paint will need to have flex agent added to work on plastics, bed liner material may be too thick expand with the plastic. And the plastics need to be baked to get the oils out of them. The oils lessen the adhesion of whatever your spraying on them.

Note that if you have rust they make inhibitors that slow rust down dramatically. Nothing really stops it unless you grind it off.

Line-x, rhino liner, whatever are urethane based as I remember.

my buddy owns a linex shop, whenever i did my own preping for him on my stuff he just had me sand it down then use self etching paint on it.

Back