466 Performance ?'s

P

paul06d-max

Hey I am building a pulling tractor "Hot Farm", whats the hp difference/benifits on going to a 510ci from a 466ci. Am I just better off to stick with a 466 or what my ci limit is 510, p-pump and 3in 3.5out turbo. Any input would be greatly apperciated!
Thanks Paul

i have talked to a buddy who pulls a pro-farm where the limit is 540. we have come to the conclusion that while it may help, if you are on a budget you would be better off the get a real good port job on the head and making it a roller motor. but if you got the coin to do it all then def do it.

Ya am thinking of just staying 466 for now can always go bigger but I will take any sugestions!

any thoughts on this compression ratios anything? Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I've had a conversation with Brent at Gene's Machine Shop and for the 700-800HP build I'm planning, he suggest cutting the valve reliefs a bit to help with clearence at higher RPM and to "lower the compression ratio a bit". Why? Don't know and for whatever reason, i didn't ask.

But he was a really friendly guy on the phone. I'd call him for some more ideas.

Heath

hesutton any more info on your 7-800hp build up?

Still trying to find a transmission. Thought I had a 6453-A Spicer but that tranny need over $1000 in parts, so I'm going to pass on it. I've gotten a 10,000 lbs Dana 80 from a F450 that I'm going to use. Once I get the tranny and a T-case (likely from SCS), I'll start making everthing fit in the truck.

I've been getting frustrated with Columbus diesel. I've practically had to beg Mark to return my calls and when I did get to talk to him, he was talking with someone at the shop while on the phone with me. Very annoying. He really didn't answer any of the questions I had like specifics on the P-pump and injector mods, or what turbos (compound) would be needed. He said just call me later when you're ready to order the parts? For Pete's sake, I'm planning on spending $8000+ dollars on fuel and turbos, but it feels like I'm begging to for the prevledge to give them my money.:doh: Anyway, Long story short, I'm still working on getting parts. Money and free time being the rate limited step.

Heath

Hey, I don't really think it will take all that much to get to 7-800 hp. I think a 13mm pump, a big charger and some 5x20' with custom lines would get you real close if you can get the rpm's out of it. Porting as stated above will help as well. Remember CDS is now the only place for good parts, Hypermax and Scheid do a great job, and their prices are near or less. There is a reason 80% of the tractors have this motor, and it's because its the 12 valve 6bt of the tractor world. I would love to see your progress!

And depending on your donor motor these things had lower compression than our trucks do. I think my dt360 has 18:1 to start with. If you are pulling the motor apart, Hypermax does their magic for 125 per piston.

Jim, you're right. I should give Scheid and Hypermax a call on the fuel and turbo options. CDS didn't seem to interested in my business.

Heath

I have tried to contact Columbus and a bunch of other people to try and get estimates and a part list for myself but the only people that seem to always reply but email atleast are Hypermax and Scheids.

I have chatted with scheids quite abit on the 4bt website and they have always answered my many questions on dream engine builds on the 4bt.

When I was trying to find more about the dt466 I posted here and found out about Hypermax. Now those guys seem to be pretty expensive for me but from what I have heard Max was on the design team when building the dt466.

Everyone seems to have different dealings with all the companies and I have heard Max is always hard or almost never able to be gotten ahold of. From my emailings I have always heard back from Max with 2 days or less.

I have a list of mod companies in Ohio that I have tried to get ahold of and have never in about 4 months now gotten a reply back.:nail:
So I guess its just hit or miss but I think I will just have to save up alot more money, learn from others and probably go with Hypermax or possibly Scheid.

Will the dana 80 be alright with any more HP then 800hp?

I was looking at using a Spicer N175 because of there strength and price. BUT nothing is final yet so I will wait to see your outcomes. I was also thinking of using a Fuller, or whatever its called, 7206a tranny.

But I will stay tuned to see what you end up with. I would try and use my build for tractor pulling but they dont have it hear in Australia. SO I will just have to use mine for 1/4 mile fun. Then hopefully one day they will have tractor pulling that I can compete in. SO my build will be built for pulling but I will take it to the track until I can actually pull with it.

My build will be a daily driven truck. I may do a few local pulls or a 1/4 mile every now and then, but I'm just want a fun, powerful, and different rig to drive around. That is one of the reasons I'm wanting twins, to keep the smoke reasonable at lower RPM (don't want "excessive smoke" tickests all the time). For what I want to do, the Dana 80 should be easily built to handle the power.

Does Scheid sell turbos as well?

Heath

Here is the name and number of my cousins motor builder for his Hot Farm tractor. He will be able to answer any questions you may have and point you in the right direction if you need a hand. Luke Miller 217-259-6213

My truck in the future will be for a dd also. I just on plan on putting as much HP in the truck as I can while still making it dd. :evil

I figure I will be idling around town with the power I want to shoot for but I dont plan on having this power all at once. It will be a very slow build. MAX hp I dont really care about. But I intended on using compounds myself.

I figure it would be fun to also take to a dyno day and max out the dyno on torque. Just a fun learning as I go build.

I just couldn't afford to build up a dana 80. Thats why I was going with the N175 or 190.

scheid sells turbos, but i wouldn buy one.

Yeah, I have not been impressed with their turbo selection either. But they seem to know what they are doing when it comes to pumps and rotating assem. work. I am trying to keep an eye on the cummins forums about pump work for my dt360, and they seem to not let their customers down to often.

hesutton what year truck are you going to install this engine into?

Everything I gave read has told me that I will have to strengthen the frame A LOT and will still probably twist the frame. I dont know how to do custom frame work so I was wondering what all you or anyone else will be doing to avoid the twist?

PLUS what can be done and yet still be able to drive everyday as far as frame work? I dont want to be driving a full caged rigid suspension truck for a daily driver.

hesutton what year truck are you going to install this engine into?

1986 F250 (OBS front clip and bed though). The frame will likely be boxed and cross braced. The clip, cab, bed, bumpers, crossmembers all add resistance to twisting the frame. Boxing and adding addition cross bracing will make a big difference. Going completely to a custom truss tube frame really shouldn't be needed.

Heath

Back