47 RE tranny experts help please

mitch13

go big
So here's the story have a Goerand tranny with 50k on it. The governor pressure sensor was acting up so I replaced it and the transducer and went ahead n threw a billet input shaft n deep pan in while I was at it. My problem is now it will drive fine for a few miles then start to slip (it will get to the point it won't move) If it cools down it will drive fine again also I still have reverse. I know it's hard to diagnose something like this over the internet but any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited:
You probably damaged the seal at the base of the input shaft, that seal holds the forward clutch line pressure. Either that or you rolled the seal on the forward piston.

Also forgot to add when I pulled the pan back off the fluid appeared to have a lot of air in it.

I also had a problem with my tranny yesterday. It started out not wanting to shift 1-2. It would hold 1st longer than normal, finally go to 2nd then immediately quit pulling like it was in neutral and gradually start pulling. I checked the fluid and it was a bit low with a lot of bubbles. I took off to town to get some tranny fluid and found that it would not pull at highway speeds. The more throttle I gave it the less it would pull. at light throttle it would pull some. When taking off from a dead stop it would shutter pretty bad. I turned around just praying to make it back home and when I got home it didn't want to take off at all. Also, when I locked the TC it would not pull at all. Fluid temp actually went DOWN when trying to pull a large hill on the way home but got up to a bit over 180* when trying to light foot it home.

I called Dave (Yes he answered the phone at 6:00 on New Years eve and again today on New Years day!) and explained what it was doing and that it was 2 years old with @40K miles on it. He suggested changing the filter, checking the bands, and eyeballing a couple of valves to make sure they weren't protruding from the case too far. The valves looked OK but both the bands were out of adjustment. The magnet had some very fine shavings on it and there was a hint of "gold dust" in the fluid in the bottom of the pan. No large debris and the fluid was not dark and did not smell burnt.

Adjusted the bands, replaced the filter and fluid, and she shifts and pulls better than it did before. I would say the filter was stopped up and that, along with the bands needing adjustment, took it over the edge.

Thumbs up to Dave once again for his great customer service!

Last edited:
I have a low stall triple disk and when it's cold it shifts into gear hard but once it warms up it doesn't even feel like it's going into gear.

Last edited:
Pull trans and remove the forward clutch piston from the back of the input shaft, I bet youll see the problem.

lavon

Havent had time to pull tranny back out yet but i did notice a metal seal on the stock input shaft that im not sure if the billet shaft came with...

Did the pan come with an extension for the filter could be pulling the fluid down below the filter causing the air and loss of pressure.

Yes the pan came with a big aluminum spacer. I'm tearing it apart tonight I'm hoping that the seal/ring is the problem.

On the bottom of the input shaft there's a steel seal that looks like a piston ring that I forgot to install.

On the bottom of the input shaft there's a steel seal that looks like a piston ring that I forgot to install.

I forgot that exact same seal the first time i built mine, made it a mile started slipping then wouldn't move once I made it back to the shop. Nothing like spending all that time just to fawk up one stupid thing. At least now you know you will never forget that seal again :lolly:

I forgot that exact same seal the first time i built mine, made it a mile started slipping then wouldn't move once I made it back to the shop. Nothing like spending all that time just to fawk up one stupid thing. At least now you know you will never forget that seal again :lolly:

I felt like an idiot till I had 2 local people tell me they have done the same thing before. live and learn and thanks for the help guys.

Back