47re behind a common rail

1stgensleeper

Hey guys,

I came across a good deal on a performance built manual vb 47re locally. I was planning on saving up to build the 48re in my 2006 but I could save some money by using this 47re. I know the trans will bolt up fine, it's the same length as a 48re, and also the transfer case will work with it, but what I need help on is getting the computer to not throw any codes. I purchased and plan to use smarty udc to tune the truck and I'd rather stay with that instead of going to efi live. This means I can't use efi live to block and get rid of unneeded sensors because it won't work in conjunction with UDC. Can I reflash my ecm to make it a manual ecm and then go on my way using this trans without throwing codes and still being able to tune using UDC? I live in California and we have to smog our trucks every 2 years. I have a shop that will ignore under the hood mods but I still need to pass the "snap test" and not throw any codes.

Thanks for the help,
Jared

What was the truck origionally??? Mine was a manual and everything works fine, easy swap but used the DHD x-case to make things easier

What was the truck origionally??? Mine was a manual and everything works fine, easy swap but used the DHD x-case to make things easier

While we're on the topic, which adapter plate did you use when you did your swap? I know the manual's have the starter spacer on them and a lot of guys either machine them off or swap adapter plates.

I was just curious if there was another starter from a different application that may be able to be used. Or if possibly the starter could be modified with a longer shaft to compensate for the 3/4 inch spacer built into the adapter plate.

I'm currently tackling a nv5600 to manual vb 47re swap of my own and am just considering my options. The adapter plates are pricy. Having mine machined is an option, but wanted to explore other options as well. Seems like a different starter or a modified starter would be the simplest option.

After speaking with Les at silver bullet tuning, he told me the auto ecm can be flashed into a manual ecm and will allow me to not throw any codes and still use udc for tuning.

Unless it's a top of the line trans I wouldn't do it. 48re has 6 pinion steel planets, upgraded pump, better valve body etc. You can find smokin deals on them in the classifieds from time to time.

Unless it's a top of the line trans I wouldn't do it. 48re has 6 pinion steel planets, upgraded pump, better valve body etc. You can find smokin deals on them in the classifieds from time to time.

Pump was replaced with a a later unit, and valve body is set for max pressure. Unless your shooting for well over 1000 hp a 47re is more than capable...

After speaking with Les at silver bullet tuning, he told me the auto ecm can be flashed into a manual ecm and will allow me to not throw any codes and still use udc for tuning.

While we're on the topic, which adapter plate did you use when you did your swap? I know the manual's have the starter spacer on them and a lot of guys either machine them off or swap adapter plates.

I was just curious if there was another starter from a different application that may be able to be used. Or if possibly the starter could be modified with a longer shaft to compensate for the 3/4 inch spacer built into the adapter plate.

I'm currently tackling a nv5600 to manual vb 47re swap of my own and am just considering my options. The adapter plates are pricy. Having mine machined is an option, but wanted to explore other options as well. Seems like a different starter or a modified starter would be the simplest option.

I learned the hard way and had my stock adapter plate machined down. Works great with 0 problems, and the easiest option!! We thought about other starters but just couldnt get one to work. If the trans is out, its easy to take that plate off, get machined and have it back in in no time.

I learned the hard way and had my stock adapter plate machined down. Works great with 0 problems, and the easiest option!! We thought about other starters but just couldnt get one to work. If the trans is out, its easy to take that plate off, get machined and have it back in in no time.

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. I didn't realize this until after I did the swap, went to fire it up last night and immediately saw that I messed up. Now just trying to figure out my options. You'd think there is a starter out there that would work, but nobody you talk to over the phone is any help whatsoever.

FWIW, in 2003 the commonrails still used a 47RE, so there should be no problem coming up with the correct plate.
I can tell you a bit about which adapter plates should work where, but I need to know which engines you are using them on.

Commonrail engines have 2 bolt holes offset differently, when compared to 12 or 24 valves, but the plates will still line up and function.

In reality, there are 5 distinctively different plates from 1989 through 2012, for Dodge alone.

Mark.

FWIW, in 2003 the commonrails still used a 47RE, so there should be no problem coming up with the correct plate.
I can tell you a bit about which adapter plates should work where, but I need to know which engines you are using them on.

Commonrail engines have 2 bolt holes offset differently, when compared to 12 or 24 valves, but the plates will still line up and function.

In reality, there are 5 distinctively different plates from 1989 through 2012, for Dodge alone.

Mark.

Mark, I appreciate your willingness to help. The plate I have will work, it'll just have to be machined where the spacer is for the starter. If I have to pull it back apart, that is most likely the route I will go.

Mark.

I've yet to try but can you pull an engine adapter off a 2nd gen and install it on in my case a 6.7 block?

Mark, I appreciate your willingness to help. The plate I have will work, it'll just have to be machined where the spacer is for the starter. If I have to pull it back apart, that is most likely the route I will go.

Exactly what I had to do. Paid the price for it too......but in the end, its way easier trying to find something when a bit of machine work does the trick

I'm pretty sure the 47re uses the same mounting holes as the 48re so I shoukdvt have any issues there.

The plug in for the neutral safety switch is different. I ran into the same thing as i had a 47re built by ats, I wanted to put it in my 06 long story short i had to swap everything out of my 47 front case into the 48 case because of the neutral safety but also the motor that mounts to the side of the case for the tv.

The plug in for the neutral safety switch is different. I ran into the same thing as i had a 47re built by ats, I wanted to put it in my 06 long story short i had to swap everything out of my 47 front case into the 48 case because of the neutral safety but also the motor that mounts to the side of the case for the tv.

Was that a manual VB transmission?

No it was with a ats race vb. I am sure the op won't need the tv motor. But still will have the neutral safety switch issue to address.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

Back