47RE early upshift?

KILLER 'B'

Pro Wrench Turner
I have a '97 with a 47re that will start in 1st gear and shift into 3rd gear within 100 feet of movement with normal throttle %. The TC will still lock up on it's own at 30-35 mph. The TPS has 1 volt at idle and the TV cable is adjusted properly. The truck had this problem before the transmission was just rebuilt, so I am assuming the problem is in the truck somewhere..

It has a new trans speed sensor, but makes no difference if it is hooked up or not..
It has a Delphi (GM) governor Solenoid.
New valve body.

I'm ridiculously baffled by this, so if someone could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it... Thanks in advance....

Check the TV cable adjustment. I have seen the lever on the VB put on backwards and it did the same thing.

The TV cable is adjusted so that it has 1/8" of movement at full throttle..

Set the TV cable to where it just tight at WOT...see what happens

Lavon

You could also tie the TV cable back and drive at partial throttle, and see if it is still short shifting.

Set the TV cable to where it just tight at WOT...see what happens

Lavon

10-4 I'll try it..

Doesn't it bother anyone else that it makes no difference if the Speed sensor is hooked up or not?

I would think no speed sensor would just send it to limp. Does it start back in first gear everytime? Maybe you have an issue with the powertrain relay? Do you have it jumpered?

I would think no speed sensor would just send it to limp. Does it start back in first gear everytime? Maybe you have an issue with the powertrain relay? Do you have it jumpered?

It starts in first every time. It shifts to 2nd, then 3rd almost immediately, then OD, then lockup..

If I cancel OD it starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd. then 3rd almost immediately, then lock-up..

Relay is jumped for lockup switch..

try the TV cable all the way back. Seriously the TV cable was put on backwards on a trans and it exhibited the same conditions.

It wasn't on properly. It was on upside down IIRC. Of course I would think the TV cable would be way out of adjustment at that point.

ball is definitely on top... so you are saying to zip tie the throttle valve all the way back and try driving the truck?

yea, one other thing is maybe some reason or another the TV lever isn't fully traveling?

the VB is new and this truck has shifted like this before it had a trans put in it.. it seems more like an electrical problem..

Well, morning bump for any fresh ideas.. This truck sat for 2 years, I just want to get it back on the road...

Monitor gov pressure. That would tell PCM related or not.

Monitor gov pressure. That would tell PCM related or not.

That's the next step, but I still can't see how this problem still occurs after everything was replaced. The trans was rebuilt due to a broken output and smoked OD clutches. Just figured shift problem was related to how burnt the trans was.

Have you actually looked at the TV lever while someone works the throttle to see if it is moving I had a broken TV cable on my 97 & it acted just like yours new cable fix it

Back