47re lock up issue ?

meatball

The subject is really broad but bear with me as I try to explain my issue.
The trans is a full billet suncoast originally for a vp truck . it's been converted over to run in my 12v by the local trans guy. My wiring harness was destroyed, so I bought a tfod-3 kit and had him install it converting it to a full manual. It seems to shift okay the converter is a little loose for me . I've been considering buying a converter and firepunk vb to replace them I. Lock up and od are wired to toggle switches .
Today I was in 3rd locked and gradually rolled on it , bringing the charger in slow , once lit . I put the pedal down and the whole truck bucked . It was very violent and that's the second time it's happened . It's like the converter locked and unlocked , once It happened I let off the converter was still locked . It's hard to explain but its as violent as a locked full throttle shift probably worse. Just before it happens it almost feels like a trans does before it kicks down .
It still shifts and functions fine , I haven't tried it in any other gears and I really don't want too. I would hate to have to rebuild this as I have other stuff going on.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Are you sure it's the trans? I had a very similar feeling when really loading my truck on the highway and it ended up being my carrier bearing giving me a warning sign that it was about to give up. It felt exactly how you described your issue though. My first thought was trans, but I pulled over, checked the suspension (fine), and then noticed the carrier bearing was very squishy feeling. It didn't look bad at that point, but felt bad. Replaced it, and havent had the issue once since.

It did look bad when I dropped the shaft and could see it really well though.

It's less than a year old and probably 2000mi on it .. I had my whole rear driveline shortened and rebuilt when I swapped a dana 80 in. It's worth a look though , thanks

Sounds like it may be trying to downshift to 2nd. I have seen this happen with some of the transgo kits.

Try going WOT in 3rd with the TC unlocked and see if it tries to shift down. It may not happen 100% of the time, but if that is the case then grinding the stem on the TV valve should take care of your issue.

Sounds like it may be trying to downshift to 2nd. I have seen this happen with some of the transgo kits.

Try going WOT in 3rd with the TC unlocked and see if it tries to shift down. It may not happen 100% of the time, but if that is the case then grinding the stem on the TV valve should take care of your issue.

im going to look into this , the issue is hard to describe but it really feels like its trying to kickdown a gear.

Hows your tv setup on the trans? Running it with a cable off the throttle bracket on pump or manually preset down at trans?

Hows your tv setup on the trans? Running it with a cable off the throttle bracket on pump or manually preset down at trans?

Sorry for the way late reply .. But I need to revive this thread !

The tv is still ran off the throttle linkage , the trans was originally out of a 24v. Before the tfod-3 kit was installed i was having issues , it would shoot through the gears and i'd be in third at 15 mph . Lavon helped me solve that problem over the phone and a small Crosby clamp fixed it .
Moving forward , I took the truck to the local trans guy today ( I would love to do the work myself but I have nowhere for the 20+ qts of ATF to go) . Today He cut the tv valve down as recommended . He didnt do that when he originally in stalled the kit. When he installed the kit he opted to put a non trimmed down one back in . I haven't had a chance to see if it made a difference on my downshift issue yet because of another issue .

When he tore the pan off he noticed the gov solenoid was unplugged.... It's a tfod -3 kit it's supposed to be unplugged and secured out of the way .... Well he plugged it back in . So now my truck is half a**ed trying to shift it self .
So I can either take it back to him and have him unplug it or my question is , if I snip the wire to pin 5 gov solenoid ground will that take care of it . The only problem with taking it back is my time I don't have much of it .
I'm pretty frustrated and about ready to just buy a firepunk manual vb and be done with it or try and convert over to an rh and loose the manual vb .
Any thoughts

Side note the trans guy is fair and he didn't charge me, he'll unplug the solenoid free of charge as well . I'm happy with him I just wish directions were followed and I'd have less of a headache.

If it is to be unplugged anyway you should be good to snip the return.

Well go snip it! I've got a schematic somewhere of what wire it is at the PCM. I can look for it, or you can probably google it. Or even put a connector on it in case you ever need it.

ill do it when i get home, ill probably put a spade connector on it in case i ever need it .

Back