47re won't downshift to 1st

turboman1

Coming home from work tonight my 47re wouldn't downshift into first. Started out in second every time. All other shifts and lockup felt just like normal.

Even putting it into first manually it won't downshift. However, going from drive to 2nd it tries to go into first and then right back into second. Going from 2nd to D it does the exact same thing as the previous sentence.

Is this a TPS issue, speed pickup issue, or a something internal to the transmission?

Thanks
Adam

symptoms indicate a governor speed sensor. It is on the VB so you have to drop the pan to change it. Normally we change both the servo and sensor together. You can verify it with a gauge and pressure test.

Drove the truck to work and back today (80 miles) and it shifted completely normal. Downshifted into first on a stop and stayed there until it should shift into second.

Does this information indicate that the governor speed sensor is more likely the culprit?

Also what speed does the governor speed sensor measure? Intermediate or output or neither?

Thanks
Adam

There is no governor speed sensor. However there is a governor pressure sensor. Scan it for codes and let us know what the codes are.

Mine is doing the same thing but I cant manualy downshift it into first, it stays in third but can manualy shift it to second. Turn truck off and restart then it will start out in first again

are these stock VB's or aftermarket with shift kits? You may try pulling the trans relay and putting a jumper in it.

Governor pressure solenoid or governor pressure solenoid.

Lavon

I have a jumper in mine because of the lock up switch in cab, ive tryed both ways and still no change. Dont understand why it cant be manually shifted down into first??

Check your TV cable to be sure its moving fully and comes to full open when the throttle isn't applied. If the PCM sees too much line pressure the truck will default and go into limp mode and start out in second. I have seen a couple where the 1-2 shift plunger is hung up in the valve body and wont down shift into first. Getting a Scan tool on the truck would be the best bet at this point or else your kinda just pissing up a rope hoping for a answer.

Back