47RH/47RE Info/Do it yourself thread

I think sanding them is a short term solution. I think brad is pretty hard on his stuff, so he tears it down for fun lol. Maybe he will chime in. I think there is a happy medium to deep of grooves and u loose contact area.

I think sanding them is a short term solution. I think brad is pretty hard on his stuff, so he tears it down for fun lol. Maybe he will chime in. I think there is a happy medium to deep of grooves and u loose contact area.

Is contact area an issue when 200psi is pushing those clutches together? I wouldnt think so?

Where did you get your rebuild kit?

I contacted John from this ebay account: Direct Transmission Parts items - Get great deals on TORQUE CONVERTER, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION items on eBay Stores!
Never knew him before that. He sold me a bunch of parts that I spent around $200-$300 on (I don't recall the exact amount right now). He can prob give you a better deal like I received if you contact him directly for parts instead of ebay purchasing.
When I bought the parts for my build, I didn't know about wittrans where Big Blue24 purchased his clutches and steels. I would've looked into it more (John may be able to get the different thickness clutches and steels, I never asked), but I didn't know there were different thickness clutches and steels available.
On another note, I was thinking about ordering parts. When ordering clutches and steels, how are people measuring to order them? I was thinking the best way would be to measure the clearence of the old clutch pack before removal, then remove the clutch pack and measure that thickness. Using that measurment you should be able to calculate what thickness clutches and steels you will need, and should be able to have the pressure plates milled for additional clutches. This way you might be able to get an additional clutch or 2 in each pack if you order the right thicknesses and mill the pressure plate. Anyone else have a better method?

Im not using extra clutches, neither is brad. his transmission has held up awesome, mine...well has 0 miles on it haha

I am making reference to you saying that contact area doesn't matter, then why do folks put more clutches? I think the sanding of steels would be a good way to handle some power for short time frames.

Is there any reason why a A618 rebuild kit labeled 94-97 RH/RE would not work on a 99 47RE?

It will work great!

When you buy a 48re rebuild kit, you have to supplement it with older style forward clutch frictions because the 48re forward frictions have more (93) splines.

It will work great!

When you buy a 48re rebuild kit, you have to supplement it with older style forward clutch frictions because the 48re forward frictions have more (93) splines.

Thanks! Glad you responded today...I didn't get the email response and was about to PM you. I've been shopping rebuild kits... the guy you got your original kit from in the beater thread has went WAY up in price.
:eek:
A518 518 46RE 46RH A618 47RE 47RH REBUILD KIT 1998-2003 | eBay

Kit I'm planning to purchase
94-97 DODGE A618-518 TRANSMISSION MASTER REBUILD KIT | eBay

Thanks! Glad you responded today...I didn't get the email response and was about to PM you. I've been shopping rebuild kits... the guy you got your original kit from in the beater thread has went WAY up in price.
:eek:
A518 518 46RE 46RH A618 47RE 47RH REBUILD KIT 1998-2003 | eBay

Kit I'm planning to purchase
94-97 DODGE A618-518 TRANSMISSION MASTER REBUILD KIT | eBay

That did go way up. Before you order though, why not just order the soft kit and get the clutches and steels from wittrans.com so you can increase the clutch count? Even if it costs you a few bucks more I'd say it's worth it.

That did go way up. Before you order though, why not just order the soft kit and get the clutches and steels from wittrans.com so you can increase the clutch count? Even if it costs you a few bucks more I'd say it's worth it.

When you say "soft kit" do you mean just gaskets, seals, and bushings? I had planned on ordering some extra clutches from WIT to increase the clutch count in my clutch packs once it is apart, I'm not sure if the packs have been upgraded from the previous rebuild or not.

Would it not be cheaper to purchase this rebuild kit than to buy a gasket kit and then purchase clutches, steels, and a 2nd gear band seperately?

When you say "soft kit" do you mean just gaskets, seals, and bushings? I had planned on ordering some extra clutches from WIT to increase the clutch count in my clutch packs once it is apart, I'm not sure if the packs have been upgraded from the previous rebuild or not.

Would it not be cheaper to purchase this rebuild kit than to buy a gasket kit and then purchase clutches, steels, and a 2nd gear band seperately?
Id get a different band anyway.

But what about my cost vs cost question?
I ve just bought a whole rebuild kit. Next time might be different since I got the hard parts already.

I wanna say a good band is more than half of that rebuild kit, cost wise. How many miles on the tranny?

By soft kit I mean the seals and gaskets. I bought my bushing kit separate, and the band was separate. You may want to hold off on the clutches and steels till later on because you'll need to measure the clutch packs. If you measure, then order the clutches and steels you can mix sizes to get what you'll need. You might even be able to reuse your old steel plates if they're in good shape and you want to save a few bucks. I have a stock style band for my trans. We'll see what it will hold!

I ve just bought a whole rebuild kit. Next time might be different since I got the hard parts already.

I wanna say a good band is more than half of that rebuild kit, cost wise. How many miles on the tranny?

Unsure, bought the truck with a year on the trans from a buddy of mine. I've put probably between 25-28K miles on it in the last 2 years.

Mark it is a tow vehicle, a good VB and the stock clutches/band will hold alot!

Yes Dan, its main purpose is a tow right currently. However, I would like to build it to hold some power while its out. I already have a good valve body thanks to Lavon. Unfortunately the only billet I can afford on this build will be the servo's. :doh: :hehe:

By soft kit I mean the seals and gaskets. I bought my bushing kit separate, and the band was separate. You may want to hold off on the clutches and steels till later on because you'll need to measure the clutch packs. If you measure, then order the clutches and steels you can mix sizes to get what you'll need. You might even be able to reuse your old steel plates if they're in good shape and you want to save a few bucks. I have a stock style band for my trans. We'll see what it will hold!

Yeah I guess I was getting ahead of myself....I realize it needs to come out first so I see what I'm dealing with in the trans currently. IE stock or added clutches in the packs. Was just curious why that kit possibly wouldn't work on my 99 47RE? It will be another week or two before we think about pulling the trans...I want my pulling motor out of the way first.

For all you 1st Gen (A518/46RH) owners lurking out there, you can run most all the rotating components of the 48RE. That with a billet/alloy NON lock-up input shaft, billet/alloy intermediate shaft, and increased clutch/steel counts everywhere appears to hold up well.

A NON lock-up 48RH :evil

Back