47rh problems

2wd_sled_puller

K&P Diesel House
Hey guys tryed the search engine with no luck i have a 47rh that has a fairbanks shift kit in it and have a problem with the truck wanting to start off in second gear. If i put it in first on the colum it will start off in first but if i come to a stop sign and go to pull off again it is starting in second

also is converter lock up and over drive as easy as hooking it to a toggle or do i have to run some sort of resister. and if i do what ohm?

Thanks guys

I'll see if I can find something when I am able. How does it shift overall? Who installed the kit?

also is converter lock up and over drive as easy as hooking it to a toggle or do i have to run some sort of resister. and if i do what ohm?

Thanks guys

the pin on the top of the trans on the drivers side (not the round one) has 3 pins, AFAIK one is for lockup, one is for OD and one is just a ground. I believe, you can ground the lockup, and OD pins out to activate their functions

I'll see if I can find something when I am able. How does it shift overall? Who installed the kit?

overrall shifts amazing it was me and a buddy that put it together. This isnt are first vavle body build. Everything went smooth. I just cant figure out the starting out in second gear part sometimes. And i have od but no tc lock up

Last edited:
the pin on the top of the trans on the drivers side (not the round one) has 3 pins, AFAIK one is for lockup, one is for OD and one is just a ground. I believe, you can ground the lockup, and OD pins out to activate their functions

ok thats what i thought but just wanted to be 100% sure

Last edited:
Did your buddy notice any wear, was there any dirt what so ever near by that could have made its way into your valve body? How was your shift valve operating when he had the unit out? It could be a sticking shift valve. However I called Mopar and they said that a common thing with these are sticky governors too.

i dont beilve any dirt could of gotten in it cause it was done in a clean white room. how ever anything is possiable

Yeah, when it was done, you go through the rest of the transmission don't you? I thought about the second gear band being held up from not releasing due to a dirty or some how stuck servo assembly, but, that could be more seldom than a sticky shift valve. I would just double check everything again, just takes time.

Yeah, when it was done, you go through the rest of the transmission don't you? I thought about the second gear band being held up from not releasing due to a dirty or some how stuck servo assembly, but, that could be more seldom than a sticky shift valve. I would just double check everything again, just takes time.

Yes sir i will double check everything also ill recheck the pressures in it. its a pain trying to work all these bugs out lol. Would u have any idea why the converter is not locking. When i first fire it up in the morning and start down the road and i flip the switch the converter will lock but once it gets a little heat to it for some reason it unlocks it makes no since to me at all

Center pin is ground and the two outside pins are for 4th gear and TC lock up.and its straight battery voltage. This is how I have my trans wired up. I can tell you specifics of whitch wire is what.I just need to look at my sheet in the garage.I put both switches on there own power source.
As far as your trans starting out in 2nd I had the same issue. I just had my spare trans built and put it in. I still haven't done anything with the it yet so I don't know what is.wrong with it.

Center pin is ground and the two outside pins are for 4th gear and TC lock up.and its straight battery voltage. This is how I have my trans wired up. I can tell you specifics of whitch wire is what.I just need to look at my sheet in the garage.I put both switches on there own power source.
As far as your trans starting out in 2nd I had the same issue. I just had my spare trans built and put it in. I still haven't done anything with the it yet so I don't know what is.wrong with it.

We played with the throttle vavle again and got it to start going back into first on its own. Now the only problem im having is torque converter lockup it will lockup first thing in the am but u go 300 ft and it will unlock and wont lock back in. It seems like if i hammer on the truck @wot that the converter maybe locking in but its hard to tell really cause its not a vilont lock

My old 12v does same thing always starts out in 2nd unless I pull it down, how did u cure this and ur converter mite be locking just it's stock converter so it's not crazy noticeable cause I have mine wired and it's trickin noticing sometimes, unless ur lugging it down, like go up a hill lock it in drive, then let off and slow down then kick it down, if it down shifts your switch doesn't work

My converter is a billet convertor so I should notice it lock in as far as the 2nd gear start to be honest done so much I don't no what fixed it no I just can't get the converter to lock up

Back