48RE Leaking From Bell Housing, Any Ideas?

Ultimate Diesel

www.UDPdiesel.com
I threw a new tune in the Dodge today and came back to notice that there was a puddle under my truck. Crawl under there and find this drip drop coming from access cover of tranny, pull cover, and seems to be coming from transmission side of converter.

Before I drop the tranny, any ideas? Shaft Seal? Pump Seal maybe?:bang

Amish Elegance said:
My guess is front pump is on its way out. I'm no tranny man....

and we're quite thankful that you're not a "tranny", man....:hehe:

Or the mating surface on the converter shaft has a groove worn in it? Maybe?

brnadon.

As hot as I run that truck, I wouldn't doubt it. I was just trying to get a heads up. I have too many trucks in my shop to get it in there to take a look, so I'm just going to have to wait.

If you have an aftermarket converter and it has a drain plug,check it,I have had a few get loose.If not I would check the pump to shaft bushing,have had problems with those to.

Heres what I found out. When a billet drum is installed in th 48RE, there is a overflow tube that has to be modified. And depending on how hard the truck is ran, it will have some seepage. So for future reference for anybody with billet drums, that could be possibly the problem.

mine used to leak a lil, but i toasted an input shaft 2 days ago that took the converter with it...time for a billet hts

the%20more%20you%20know.jpg

Back