48re lubrication problem

davem3261

I pulled the Trans out to put in all billet shafts and found this. I had to use a shop press to get the intermediate off of the overdrive piston support. It has 30-40k on it since it was last apart. I read through big blues sticky and I'm going to drill the case for more fluid to the sprag. I'm not sure if it will help with this problem.

Attachments

• 20150604_152756.jpg
    20150604_152756.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150604_152743.jpg
    20150604_152743.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
Subscribed, got my trans apart a few weeks ago and found exactly the same stuff plus the reverse drum was chewed up too where the retainer rides in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the cooler return line. You may have a clogged cooler restricting the return and starving the low/reverse sprag which by what I see was probably the cause of failure. The shaft looks like it saw a bit of heat but only minimally and that could have been because the support broke.

You have a water to oil cooler on the block and an air to oil in the front. I have seen the thermostat in the front cooler get stuck which could lead to overheating of the transmission fluid. It can be removed and cleaned. If it is bad then replace it. If I recall correctly, the newer coolers do not have the thermostat. You have to check with the dealer on that.

Last edited:
Back