48re no reverse

homewrecker

gear jammer
Got in the truck yesterday and had no reverse. Had all forward gears. Pulled the pan today and found this.
dyqaqejy.jpg

The reverse servo spring retainer had pushed past the snap ring. Not sure if this is the only problem. The reverse band adjustment was way off. Not sure if it's broke or not. Doing the band adjustment I end up with 1/2 turn of thread past the jam nut. Any way to tell if the band is broke? I can visually see it clamping when pulling on the apply lever.

Sent from Razr Maxx

Got the retainer flattened back out and reinstalled. Adjust the rear band and have reverse again. The band is going to need changed real soon. Like mentioned before, the threads on the adjuster barely come flush with the top of the jam nut when torqued. Is the rear band wear rate alot higher on these built trannys that get beat on some? This is my first built auto. Hoping these things aren't in need of constant attention.

Sent from Razr Maxx

Got the retainer flattened back out and reinstalled. Adjust the rear band and have reverse again. The band is going to need changed real soon. Like mentioned before, the threads on the adjuster barely come flush with the top of the jam nut when torqued. Is the rear band wear rate alot higher on these built trannys that get beat on some? This is my first built auto. Hoping these things aren't in need of constant attention.

Sent from Razr Maxx

That band is only applied in reverse and Manual 1. If your doing a lot of backing up pushing a trailer, then I can see some wear on it. I would suspect there are other issues though that caused your original problem.

Yeah, Im not the least bit knowledgeable on these things. There was a lot of slop in the reverse apply lever. I didn't verify the turns on the band adjustment but I feel certain it took more than 3 turns to bottom it out. The jam nut was tight so I know it didn't work its way lose. Guess when you get something second hand this is what you get. Tranny has some weird quirks that I'm not sure come being performance built or something isn't right. Makes some noises when it's cold and in park, goes away once warmed up. With tow haul engaged it makes a growling noise when shifting from 2nd to 1st. Doesnt do it when not using tow haul. May just pull it come spring(if it last that long) and let Garmon go through it.

Sent from Razr Maxx

Back